Worcester Greenstar30cdi classic regular

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a 3 year old Worcester Greenstar30cdi classic regular boiler which has had a leak inside from a auto air vent? Apparently the Worcester Engineer has said it’s not covered under guarantee because it’s due to dirt in the system. But when I asked the Worcester Engineer if he is sure, he said he does not know for sure until someone takes the part out Can someone advise as surely all central heating systems have some dirt and surely a new boiler should be able to cope? A guarantee can’t become invalid simply because of dirt in the system can it? Or is it more likely a faulty cap that screws on top of the part I wonder? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Modern boilers struggle to cope with anything less than Unicorn tears for system water.
Auto air vents always leak at some point regardless of the system water quality.
Worcester will be paying around £2.00 per AAV so the quality is compromised.
Just call someone out...it's a cheap part and given the propensity to leak they're almost a service item.

Hi,
Can someone advise as surely all central heating systems have some dirt and surely a new boiler should be able to cope? A guarantee can’t become invalid simply because of dirt in the system can it?
Yes, a guarantee can absolutely become invalid due to dirt in the system. Systems must be thoroughly flushed out in accordance with BS7593 when a new boiler is installed, to ensure the water is clean. Unfortunately in a world where everyone wants rock bottom prices and a new boiler thrown on the wall in a single day (or less), it often gets missed. The nasty plastic air vents they use do have a propensity to leak though. Plastic doesn't belong in the waterways of boilers, but supposedly "premium" manufacturers seem to be making increasing use of it, presumably to cut costs and increase profit margins.

They're a fairly cheap part though https://www.plumbarena.co.uk/product/worcester-87161064450-air-vent-valve but you'll need to get your system powerflushed to reactivate your warranty I suspect

Last edited:
Thanks. Unfortunately the boiler has now developed rust on the bottom due to the water sitting there which is concerning me. As the casing is damaged now and overtime the rust will corrode further and there are other connections/ wires in the rusted floor of casing which eventually could cause problems and then I may be out my guarantee period. The boiler was installed 3 years ago by a Worcester accredited engineer who did a flush ( don’t think a power flush) according to Worcester requirements and it’s been serviced every year by a Worcester Engineer.
The point is it seems to me that the boiler is not fit for purpose if it can’t deal with some dirt in a system especially when there is a boiler filter too. And every system will have dirt in it at some stage, systems don’t just stay clean despite flushes. As I said it’s been serviced by Worcester accredited plumbers do Worcester should put this part as renewable every year if their boilers can’t cope. Has anyone claimed under guarantee from Worcester and any advice?[/QUOTE]

Sponsored Links
I fear you've fallen into the trap of thinking that "Worcester Accredited" bears some relation to the quality of the installer / service engineer. It does not. It just means they've been to WB HQ on a sales/training day, and they've hit their targets for the number of boilers fitted each year to retain that accreditation. It's got naff all to do with whether they do a good job or not.

Systems do stay clean if correctly installed and treated, then re-treated if they're ever drained down. WB are the most lenient manufacturer out there when it comes to warranties (another thing which probably attracts the "throw it at the wall and run" type installers) but no manufacturer will warrant the water-carrying parts of a boiler on a dirty system.

You could ask for a second opinion from another WB engineer but I suspect you'll get the same answer and probably a bill for the call-out on top. You do need to get that leak attended to though - if the casing corrodes all the way through, the boiler will be deemed dangerous and a write-off

More than likely your annual service engineer might have fooked somert up...better off not getting an anal service done, especially on a 3 year old boiler....The engineer should have checked for dirty water at service at a minimum. It dont just get dirty by magic....he's probably trying to find you off....

Pirates everywhere...in this game...

More than likely your annual service engineer might have fooked somert up...better off not getting an anal service done, especially on a 3 year old boiler....The engineer should have checked for dirty water at service at a minimum. It dont just get dirty by magic....he's probably trying to find you off....

Pirates everywhere...in this game...
Poor advice. An annual service is one of the conditions of the warranty. If you don't get it serviced, the warranty will be cancelled

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back