vaillant or worcester boiler

I have to change an old boiler. Which one should I choose for a open vented system (cold water tank, hot water cylinder, F&E cistern) ? Vailland ecotec 438 or Worcester Bosch regular 30?

The first question is why such a big boiler? Do you really live in a 10 bedroom detached?

Next question is why open vent? Less efficient!

Last question why restrict the choice to just two boilers?

Its like saying I want new car, should I get Ford or Vauxhall ?

Tony

Sponsored Links
The Vaillant 4 series you mentioned is a UK Gloworm in a nicer box.

It is nowhere near the quality of the German made Worcester 30CDi.

Vaillant combis and sealed system boilers are German made and a different design. If you want open vent and 30kW the Bosch is the one.

Some accredited installers can give you a 6 yr warranty at the moment, too.

vallant boilers are better than Worcester but
Worcester have better tech support
baxi best of both

The house has 5 beds and is detached, 2 bathrooms, one shower. It should be enough to have a WB 30CDI. I just think it is better to choose more power rather than short of power. The original system is open vented, we simply keep this way to avoid any changes which may involved more money. The "Which" magazine gives the best two brands as vaillant and WB. No one wants the boiler to break down in Chrismas, right? My current boiler gave trouble every year during that time. So I do need a reliable boiler even it may cost a little more.

Thank you for giving comments.

I have to change an old boiler. Which one should I choose for a open vented system (cold water tank, hot water cylinder, F&E cistern) ? Vailland ecotec 438 or Worcester Bosch regular 30?

The first question is why such a big boiler? Do you really live in a 10 bedroom detached?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Your not going to have a problem with either boiler. Just make sure its installed by an a accredited company so you get the warranty and correct install.

The house has 5 beds and is detached, 2 bathrooms, one shower. It should be enough to have a WB 30CDI.
You're just guessing! Use the Boiler Size Calculator

I just think it is better to choose more power rather than short of power.
Within reason!

If the boiler's output is considerably more than actually required it will waste fuel and may not even be as effective as a smaller boiler.

Use the calculator above (it's not difficult or time-consuming) and then go for the next size larger boiler. This will then give you some spare capacity for the very cold days when the temperature is below the standard -1C

Don't forget that you only need full output on very cold days. For over 90% of the year the boiler will be producing less than 50% and sometimes as little as 10% of its stated output.

You should also take into consideration the minimum output of a boiler. The lower it is compared to the calculated output, the better. What you do not want is a boiler where the calculated output is just above, or even below the boiler's minimum output.

Another good point to consider before deciding on staying open vent or Goin pressurised is the age of your radiators. If you have the old pressed flat panel radiators for example then forget going to sealed, unless your changing rads that it.

I have a fairly large 5 bed detached 35kw viessmann is spot on.

Google the 200w. Will also work with open vent and sealed should you wish tochange later

Thank you. THis is a very important point. I have all the old flat radiators. I have to stay with the open vent. By the way, I did go to the Worcester web and did the calculation. Based on 4 bed detached, one bath, one shower, I should use the WB30 CDI. I did not choose WB40 CDI in order to save the fuels. The house was fully insulated on loft and walls. The old boiler is 23.7kw. I increased a little to 30kw because added bathroom and shower. I think it is reasonable to choose 30kw.

All of you have given me invaluable suggestions and comments. I appreciate it very much.

Another good point to consider before deciding on staying open vent or Goin pressurised is the age of your radiators. If you have the old pressed flat panel radiators for example then forget going to sealed, unless your changing rads that it.

I have a fairly large 5 bed detached 35kw viessmann is spot on.

Google the 200w. Will also work with open vent and sealed should you wish tochange later

The house was fully insulated on loft and walls. The old boiler is 23.7kw. I increased a little to 30kw because added bathroom and shower. I think it is reasonable to choose 30kw.

You may think that its reasonable to increase the boiler output by 25%.

But I dont!

For most of the year the boiler is providing less that half its full output. The more you oversize it the less efficient it becomes.

Tony

By the way, I did go to the Worcester web and did the calculation. Based on 4 bed detached, one bath, one shower, I should use the WB30 CDI.
That's rather like asking your local garage what size car you should buy. They will always try to sell you the biggest they can.

I used to live in a large 5 bed 3 storey Edwardian house - solid walls single glazed windows etc - so a high heat loss. It was heated by a 24kW floor standing boiler and we never felt cold, whatever the weather.

Please stop guessing and use the Boiler Size Calculator

The house was fully insulated on loft and walls. The old boiler is 23.7kw. I increased a little to 30kw because added bathroom and shower. I think it is reasonable to choose 30kw.

You may think that its reasonable to increase the boiler output by 25%.

But I dont!

For most of the year the boiler is providing less that half its full output. The more you oversize it the less efficient it becomes
Tony

I disagree there mate the 35 viessmann for example will modulate right down to 5kw so as long as his output is greater than his input then he will still benefit, especially if he uses weather comp.

Gareth

The house has 5 beds and is detached, 2 bathrooms, one shower. It should be enough to have a WB 30CDI. I just think it is better to choose more power rather than short of power. The original system is open vented, we simply keep this way to avoid any changes which may involved more money. The "Which" magazine gives the best two brands as vaillant and WB. No one wants the boiler to break down in Chrismas, right? My current boiler gave trouble every year during that time. So I do need a reliable boiler even it may cost a little more.

Thank you for giving comments.

Tony
Love it, always thought Christ was the son of God - now I know its Chris!!!

Thank you. I did and it turned out as 30.7kw with one bath and one shower.

By the way, I did go to the Worcester web and did the calculation. Based on 4 bed detached, one bath, one shower, I should use the WB30 CDI.
That's rather like asking your local garage what size car you should buy. They will always try to sell you the biggest they can.

I used to live in a large 5 bed 3 storey Edwardian house - solid walls single glazed windows etc - so a high heat loss. It was heated by a 24kW floor standing boiler and we never felt cold, whatever the weather.

Please stop guessing and use the Boiler Size Calculator

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back