Does this downstairs WC layout satisfy building regs?

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know you will have more experience of building regs than I have, and I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on whether this layout would satisfy building regs.

I have read somewhere about disabled access, and this is what worries me.
  • The room is 1.4m deep x 1.02m wide.
  • Toilet in yellow is 605mm deep Vitra S50.
  • The sink in green is 216mm deep from Saneux.
  • The door is 700mm wide.
  • The toilet is centred on the window.
In case of regional variations, I am based in North Herts.

Sponsored Links
I had a similar issue. Part M of the building regulations deals with it. You can see a copy here. Whilst new build homes must comply with Part M, I was informed that if the building is existing, any modifications made must ensure that the building must not be less compliant with Part M, than before the work started. As I did not have a downstairs WC before, even though the new one was not compliant that was OK.

If however, before I started work, there had been a downstairs WC that was complaint, and I wanted to remove it and construct a non compliant WC somewhere else, that would not be acceptable.

Anyway, mine was passed OK, but it was several years ago, however though, looking at the Part M document the relevant part (Page 11 Extensions and Material Alterations; Dwellings) doesn't seem to have changed since then.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Yes Part M looks like the regulation I was worried about. From what I can read on page 11 (Section 0.1) the requirements apply if "an existing non-domestic building is extended, or undergoes a material alteration" and also goes on to confirm what you say about not being allowed to make it less compliant. In this case I would struggle to find plans and photos of the old downstairs WC. (We never lived in the house.) But I have a feeling there was a step down into the WC ... so I hope that in light of the fact that there is no longer a step into the WC, then this means we are more compliant.

Thank you both for your input.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back