Does insulation board in place of cavity closers meet building regs?

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The spec for our extension states "All cavities to be closed with Termabate or similar" and the builder tried to tell us that the Celotex he used (see photo) was good enough. We argued quite a bit over whether he is following the spec, and he tried to tell us the old this is how it used to be done line.

But, he also claimed to have shown this to the building inspector from the council and apparently the building inspector was happy with it.

Does this satisfy building regs?

Sponsored Links
Yes. I prefer to make my own and foam them in. Proprietary cav clodgers can be shoite.
The foil is meant to go against the masonry with a sleeve of DPC sandwiched between the insulation and the outer leaf.

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
It may be an opportune moment to advise your builder that deductions will be made for unapproved deviations from the spec.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
image.jpeg
Mine are like that but the foil is the opposite way

• Thanks
A cavity closer is an uncomplicated bit of insulation with DPC stuck to it. Easy to replicate and improve (fixing wise) upon.

• Thanks
Nice photo 1990, which matches with what noseall said about the foil being against the leaf. Thank you all for your comments.

"equal and approved"
Much better worded :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back