Does this external soil pipe require mortar or some other filler material to seal the pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’ve recently had some builders make some adjustments to my soil pipe (moved it externally) and this is the result.

Does the pipe need some sort of sealant (mortar or silicone perhaps?) around the pipe?

Thanks

Attachments

• AA684A87-40BF-4488-8741-DA72D13CD426.jpeg
    AA684A87-40BF-4488-8741-DA72D13CD426.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 1,330
Sponsored Links
Yes, needs some mortar to fill the gap and finish the job. It's unfinished at present. Mortar will also help stabilise the pipe, as well as stopping the elements from entering. Another consideration is keeping out vermin like rats and mice who would like to make a nice home in your wall cavity.

I thought as much - thank you.

Is this something I could easily do myself? If so, are there any ready-made mixtures I could buy to do this?

Sponsored Links
I would try a call to the builder and ask him to put some mortar in. Applying mortar is well within the scope of most builders, though plumbing and drainage is usually expecting a bit much of them. I'm sure he's got some sand and cement in the back of his Tranny. :)

Nice little DIY job for the bank holiday weekend.
If you “know” your builder is going to resist then just crack on and get it done... if you have a good rapport with him, just tell him you’ll do it anyway... he’ll owe you one :sneaky:

Nice little DIY job for the bank holiday weekend.
If you “know” your builder is going to resist then just crack on and get it done... if you have a good rapport with him, just tell him you’ll do it anyway... he’ll owe you one :sneaky:

Indeed! I actually just went ahead and done it yesterday (attached picture). I think I’ve done an okay job although I’m not sure I filled it deep enough. I still have (restricted) access to the interior side of where the pipe is, so I’ll ask my builder to fill that in with expanding foam.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 768
Indeed! I actually just went ahead and done it yesterday (attached picture). I think I’ve done an okay job although I’m not sure I filled it deep enough. I still have (restricted) access to the interior side of where the pipe is, so I’ll ask my builder to fill that in with expanding foam.

Good job. Nowt wrong, just go over it with a wet sponge to clean up the residue dust :)(y)

I’ve recently had some builders make some adjustments to my soil pipe (moved it externally) and this is the result.

Does the pipe need some sort of sealant (mortar or silicone perhaps?) around the pipe?
Op, you might want to check with the builder whether the stack complies with regs, ask what happens to the turds when they hit the elbow
plumbing and drainage is usually expecting a bit much of them

Couldn't say better in this case - why is there an elbow inin soil stack?

Op, you might want to check with the builder whether the stack complies with regs, ask what happens to the turds when they hit the elbow

Couldn't say better in this case - why is there an elbow inin soil stack?

Good point. I asked the builder that question but he said it should be fine - but of course he would say that. The builder will be long gone before uncle Neville comes around for Xmas dinner and blows the pipe elbow wide open with a massive log.

I’ll raise it with him again.

As for why there is an elbow, the old soil stack ran internally but to free up worktop space for our kitchen renovation in the room below, the soil stack was rerouted externally.

That’s correct.

So the waste drops vertically from the first floor, hits a 90° elbow, if anything makes it round that bend, it then hits a second 90° bend. The base of the stack should be a long radius bend - anything else is an (inaccessible) blockage waiting to happen - whoever installed this needs to be taken out and shot.

Ask the installer about compliance with Building Regs - Part H

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...achment_data/file/442889/BR_PDF_AD_H_2015.pdf

So the waste drops vertically from the first floor, hits a 90° elbow, if anything makes it round that bend, it then hits a second 90° bend. The base of the stack should be a long radius bend - anything else is an (inaccessible) blockage waiting to happen - whoever installed this needs to be taken out and shot.

Ask the installer about compliance with Building Regs - Part H

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...achment_data/file/442889/BR_PDF_AD_H_2015.pdf

What about if I asked him to install a rodding access point in the vertical pipe from the first floor, just above the first elbow?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back