Does this joint look OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our hot water tank was replaced about 10 years ago. I discovered recently that there was a weeping joint in the hot water pipe next to the tank.

I tried draining the pipe and heating the joint before adding more solder. This reduced the amount of water coming out but it didn't solve the problem.

Thankfully there is was enough slack in the pipe that I could cut the old joint out of the system and put a new yorkshire fitting in place. However unlike previous yorkshire and end feed fittings I have used there is not enough space to get the blowtorch all the way round this one. I heated the joint up and applied a little extra solder before letting it cool. The joint is now sealed but as you can see from the pictures the lower solder joint has barely crept onto the pipe from the elbow.

Does this look OK or should I be draining and applying a little more heat?

Attachments

• 2018-11-02 22.06.40.jpg
    2018-11-02 22.06.40.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 261
  • 2018-11-02 22.07.38.jpg
    2018-11-02 22.07.38.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 265
Sponsored Links
Thanks, It's hard to describe but previously it has always looked like a more of a curve in the solder between the pipe and joint. Which is also how it appears on the side away from the wall. It's been a few years since I last used a solder joint though so I had lost a bit of confidence.

you shouldnt have to add any solder to that type of fitting there is enough solder already in there

Sponsored Links
Well it's ok I suppose until you see the Yorkshire fitting then you know it's just some amateur :p:p:p

Oh I am so grateful for the "expert tradesmen" on this board that like to do things the hard way. :rolleyes:

Well it's ok I suppose until you see the Yorkshire fitting then you know it's just some amateur :p:p:p

After looking at the meter set-up I assumed you meant me and I was thinking well yeah this is a DIY forum and I certainly wasn't being paid to fix my own pipe work... Then I eventually spotted the yorkshire fitting and have now learnt about street elbows. :)

After looking at the meter set-up I assumed you meant me and I was thinking well yeah this is a DIY forum and I certainly wasn't being paid to fix my own pipe work... Then I eventually spotted the yorkshire fitting and have now learnt about street elbows. :)

Dan is one of the best installers around and I know him personally so I can take the pizz ;)

Btw your fitting is absolutely fine (y)

Thanks, that picture does look like an artwork. I'd want a glass fronted meter cupboard in my house with that.

there is not enough space to get the blowtorch all the way round this one.
You don't need to heat it all the way round, the copper conducts heat adequately. Just as well, because situations where you can get all round I would guess are less common than when you can't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back