does this kind of hinge exist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to put a gate at the bottom of a set of front door steps.
The size of the gate will be 800mm but the bottom step is ony 600 deep.
so in theory i will have to raise the bottom of the gate up to the height of the next lowest step so it clears it.
I'm looking for ideas into how i can have the gate fit to the bottom of the step, yet when i open it it clears the step before it

I thought there might be some sort of spiral hinge that effectively has two parts to each hinge that has a spiral effect.... so when the are open they are at there maxium distance apart from each other, and when they are closed the come back together...

1 thing i don't want to do really is make the gate only 600 wide, and loose 200mm to the entrance of my property...

any ideas?
sorry if this is the wrong forum... just thought all you joinery experts would have a better idea....

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Have you read your post seems a little muddled, the gate is 800mm ? is that height or width? 600mm deep step? a pic might help.

understandable.
I'll try tonight..

The gap is 800mm wide so i hope to make the gate almost the same with, ( and roughly the same height)

what i am looking for is a hinge that on both parts looks like a helter skelter slide.(if that makes sense)
two of them against each other so as they open they move apart from eack other ( on the vertical axis) whilst opening the gate on the horizontal axis.

Sponsored Links
understandable.
I'll try tonight..

The gap is 800mm wide so i hope to make the gate almost the same with, ( and roughly the same height)

what i am looking for is a hinge that on both parts looks like a helter skelter slide.(if that makes sense)
two of them against each other so as they open they move apart from eack other ( on the vertical axis) whilst opening the gate on the horizontal axis.
These are called rising butt hinges, if you google them you should find what you want.

Wotan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back