Does this roof need any work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, next door has some scaffolding up, been for around a year, they have just removed the upper section that went over the actual roof.
It looks like they have been working on the chimney on the left.

Just below it there's a dark area I can't make out what it is but looks unusual?

Also to the right of my roof window something looks a bit gappy, like it has lifted a bit?

Can anyone who knows about roofs have a quick look at the pic please?
Water is pouring off the end of my gutter to the right but I need to getup there and have a look at that.
20221004_122657.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you don't draw on the photo, nobody will know what you are talking about. This is like playing spot the ball. Back in the days, neither me nor my gambling class mates could work out where it was.

Thanks not sure how to do that but these are the parts zoomed in on.
Screenshot_20221005-121921_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20221005-121520_Photos.jpg

Down load gimp. It's free and you can use it to draw stuff.

Below chimney looks like just some debris.

Sponsored Links
The pictures are not sharp enough to look at the chimney area.
The skylight has a cocked skate and a half fitted poorly . And totally out of character of the original slate.
There are no other slate and a halves.
Just above that s&h there appears to be a split slate creating a straight joint which would leak a bit
To the right side at low level there is an early repair and just above that is a skate with a big corner off . Close by is a skate that appears snapped.
Higher up the roof at the abutment there are a couple of missing cut slates . So, some work required.

Why not ask your neighbour if you can jump up on their scaffold to take some photos of your own roof and check your gutters etc before it comes down?? Sure they wouldnt mind

Why not ask your neighbour if you can jump up on their scaffold to take some photos of your own roof and check your gutters etc before it comes down?? Sure they wouldnt mind
Would you let your neighbour do something dangerous at your responsibility? I would struggle.

Last edited:
If its a proper scaffold, and your a Diy'er who can climb a ladder and who wont sue your neighbour if you fell off at your own fault, then in this instance I think your safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back