Does this sound ok

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be building a cupboard around my electric meter. The electric meter sits in an alcove, and the cupboard will span the width of the alcove and stand about 900mm high and 200mm deep, the alcove being 1440 wide.

I am going to fit a 2x2 to the wall across the back at 900mm high.

Then the front framework will look as per the diagram. I have purchased the 2x2's, 13mm MDF, and two cabinet doors (pre-drilled for hinges, £4.89ea at B&Q)

View media item 23666
The red lines are screws - I will use two into each endgrain joint, and as shown into brick/concrete. All screws will be countersunk halfway through the timber they are driven from, so I dont have to use very long screws. I have built a unit like this before, I can swing from it :LOL: It was an entertainment centre for tv, hifi etc, in a bedroom. With a little adaption I have hung a LCD TV from it now (it had a recess for a CRT TV)

The doors are off centre because of the position of the meter and consumer unit. The unit will span the alcove because I will be providing power to a new electric fire in the adjacent fireplace (currently gas). The switch for this will be on the front of the unit. This way I can just drill through the chimner breast.

Can I finish the top of the unit with 13mm MDF or should I use window board or similar? Do these plans look ok? Anything you'd do different?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
looks ok to me, id use 4" screws tho.
for the top, you could use 12mm mdf but it would look thin, window board would look better

theres no need for odd doors it wont matter if you occasionally have to open 2 doors for access

just double up on the mdf for the top if your a bit short double up the 2" around the edge making sure the front edge is a single section

for 12mm i use no6x 2" with a 3.2mm or 1/8th drill for butted mdf joints

Sponsored Links
nice job well done :D :D
a 3rd door would looked more ballance and give better accsess ;)

Is your gran going to live there?

Would have been quicker easier and more robust to use a single sheet of 18mm mdf, would do the lot with no frame, you could have brought forward the socket onto it or had a single lift off panel which would provide easy access and wallpapered to make it completely concealed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back