Does this tool exist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a tool which basically acts like a kitchen peeler but with a bit more workshop heft.

Is there a wood work tool that works like this?

I need to basically score/peel sections out of insulation to make some channels in it. So rather than a push action like a planer or a chisel. I need something you can dig in and pull to basically peel a channel out of the insulation.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Hmm,

I was thinking more along the lines of a lemon rind peeler thing. Something long that can be pulled back with one hand and will peel out a channel. Rather something that shaves the whole top surface.

Like a reverse chisel, if one existed.

Ahh, I'm getting closer....

The closest kitchen equivalent is a channel knife....

Sponsored Links
The old time router plane is possibly what you mean - but I don't think it will work too well on slab insulation.
John :)

What are you trying to achieve ?

I saw someone "drill" a cable route through a SIPS panel by heating a ball bearing to red hot and dropping it on the insulation where it sank through and left a perfect hole.

Maybe a hot wire would do what you need?

Cut a slot out of a length of steel tube (something like an old mop shaft, curtain pole, etc), and pull that through your insulation?

Just run a sharp knife down either side of the channel required, did that for all my power cable behind insulated plasterboard.No special tool needed.

dishman, good evening

Have a look at "Woodworking microplanes?

A lot like a Kitchen microplane the type you shave hard cheese with.

Having used them to form curves Etc in hardwoods they are a quantum leap better than a rasp

Ken

Box scraper (#70). Kunz still make them in Germany (try Dieter Schmid - Fine Tools)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back