Does this type of roof construction even exist?.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some advice would be appreciated...

Im looking at plans for a selfbuld 2 storey house and I want to maximise on useable space so the use of the roof void too is a must. The design of the house means it doesn't have gables at either end as its a hip roof design with 2 smaller gable offshoots at 90 degrees to the main roof.

Now to my question....

I understand tradition roof design and that the cheapest option is to go for factory made trusses, however this would make the space almost unusable so the nest option is attic trusses or a more traditional construction with hefty purlins etc etc...

What im wondering is if anyone has come across a steel framed roof structure on which timber rafters are fixed, then battens and then tiled in a traditional way?

If this was the case then the strength of the structure would be in the steelwork which would be bearing on the walls all around the perimeter of the structure and therefore not requiring to gain strength from timbers taking up pescious room.

So is this nuts or does it make sense?, is a wasted effort and should a traditional job be done instead?

Awaiting your ideas.

Sponsored Links
Steel is always stronger than wood and more practable aswell, infact you whole house should have a steel frame and then wood infill but then it woulfd be labelled a pre-fab and not popular in the UK because people want traditional homes and the banks arent keen because it's new and the old pre-fabs were only designed to last a few years.

Saying that my workshop30x26 is a pre-fab steel structure with bolted on pieces of timber so other timber and steel can be screwed onto the structureal steel.

There is no reason why your roof cant be done with steel trusses, they are as old as steel themselves and as long as they are treated for corrosion they will last as long if not longer than wood and i should imagine the banks will be happy as long as they comply to building regs as other steel framed buildings must.

Just an opinion mind--no expert

Steel is often used in roof constructions - especially attic conversions, your trusses would have to be designed by a structural Engineer - might be best to call one for a chat, before you commit.

"What im wondering is if anyone has come across a steel framed roof structure on which timber rafters are fixed, then battens and then tiled in a traditional way?"

Yes. My Mothers semi bungalow has two RSJ's which run the full length of the roof. One on each side supporting traditional timbers, giving a completely open loft space. Built by Leech in the early sixties, there's an estate full of them.

Sponsored Links
A doctors surgery just around the corner was built that way last year and the building even won an award.

joe

there was one on grand designs last year. they put a steel frame on the roof and shot fired the battens to the frame. Youd have to consider fire protection as well though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back