Does this type of wood/fixing exist? If so what's it called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to fix a french door side panel to an internal wall. My idea was to have a wooden baton with a channel wide enough for the panel (which is the same size as a door) to simply slot into so it can then be screwed/glued.

Does such a thing exist? If so what is it called and would it be sold at the likes of B&Q or Wickes?

Here's a drawing to try and explain what I'm looking for

Thanks in advance for any input :)

Sponsored Links
You can get in a variety of materials, alumium, wood effect plastic etc or run a timber baton over a table saw to create channel.[Or use a router].

Thanks, is there a name for it? I've been googling various ways I would describe it and have come up with a blank!

Wood prefer to buy rather than have to try and make it as my DIY skill level is very basic!

Sponsored Links
Google Metal Supermarkets, then Aluminium then Channel......you'll find what you need there after a browse.
Wonderful firm! Pricey a bit but very obliging, trade or public, no minimum order. I use them often.
John :)

Google Metal Supermarkets, then Aluminium then Channel......you'll find what you need there after a browse.
Wonderful firm! Pricey a bit but very obliging, trade or public, no minimum order. I use them often.
John :)
He is after timber. :unsure:

In which case he will have to run it up himself......maybe he hadn't considered a better alternative.
John

It's not going to be strong enough to hold the door sized panel by itself. it's going to need (at least) fixings of some sort top and bottom near the edge furthest from the wall to hold it solid. You don't give many details. What sort of frame is the rest of the door in? Could you fix the panel to that frame, seal down the gap, and run something like architrave down the wall joint, scribed if necessary to tidy up?
I've never seen any wood U section that big for sale, and if you have limited facilities it's going to be tricky to make up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back