What am I looking at?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently bought an internal door for my house. It was a custom made pine victorian four panel one. Quite nice.

I have a Festool Domino, I would like to have a crack at making one myself.

The timber that goes to make up the door, when I look closely, isn't made from sliced tree. Instead it is made from solid wood laminate strips glued together. This kind of makes sense since the central rail is 40mm thick and 270mm wide.

Here's a Picture: https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/img_2195.99879/

The thing is I can't figure out what this stuff would be called or where to get it. Wickes do it in a small range of sizes and call it "timberboard". They don't do anything in the thicknesses I would need.

This stuff: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Building-Materials/Sheet-Materials/Timberboard/c/1000196

Google searches for "timberboard" don't produce anything useful.

Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at so I can go get some?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I recently bought an internal door for my house. It was a custom made pine victorian four panel one. Quite nice.

I have a Festool Domino, I would like to have a crack at making one myself.

The timber that goes to make up the door, when I look closely, isn't made from sliced tree. Instead it is made from solid wood laminate strips glued together. This kind of makes sense since the central rail is 40mm thick and 270mm wide.

Here's a Picture: https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/img_2195.99879/

The thing is I can't figure out what this stuff would be called or where to get it. Wickes do it in a small range of sizes and call it "timberboard". They don't do anything in the thicknesses I would need.

This stuff: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Building-Materials/Sheet-Materials/Timberboard/c/1000196

Google searches for "timberboard" don't produce anything useful.

Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at so I can go get some?

Thanks.
Any good.
litl
http://www.mumfordwood.com/news/engineered-timber-in-the-window-and-door-industry

Pine furniture board?
Don't think it's available thick enough for doors.

Sponsored Links
Pine furniture board?
Don't think it's available thick enough for doors.

It doesn't appear to be does it. And yet I have a door made from it. Someone is making/selling it. Thanks for trying.

Any other suggestions gratefully looked into.

A domino on it's own is not really going to help you make a door - particularly not a panel door (a good table saw, surface planer and router table would be more help), the only thing you'd use the domino for is to join the parts of the frame together - the panels need to float in slots cut in the frame to allow for expansion/contraction.

A better project to kick off with would be something like a bench or table. You might also want to take a look at woodtalkonline.com, lots of folk over there use dominos and theres a good selection of projects to give you some ideas.

A domino on it's own is not really going to help you make a door - particularly not a panel door

Thanks Chud. You're absolutely right.

(a good table saw, surface planer and router table would be more help),

So it's lucky I got all of that too. Plus some other bits and bobs, like four routers, two tables, a woodrat, jigsaws, a multitool, circular saws, an extensive collection of hadtools from Veritas, Lie Neilsen, Stanley etc. two seperate dust extraction systems. Oh and two regular benches, plus a festool CMS and and an MFT with the guide system. I am reasonably well equipped.

The domino though is a fairly recent purchase.

I got my first saw, which came from a size appropriate woodworking tool kit, (and is still on the wall in my workshop), when I was four. That was some fifty four years ago. My dad bought it for me. He was an engineer.

the only thing you'd use the domino for is to join the parts of the frame together - the panels need to float in slots cut in the frame to allow for expansion/contraction.

Again, you're absolutely right.

A better project to kick off with would be something like a bench or table. You might also want to take a look at woodtalkonline.com, lots of folk over there use dominos and theres a good selection of projects to give you some ideas.

It would indeed, but this wouldn't be my first project, just, hopefully, my next. My kick off project was a stool that my sister "ruined" by pasting a picture of Herman's Hermits to the seat. I have no idea what happened to that.

This is why the question I asked was about the material, which I hadn't seen before. Just to check whether anyone here new more about that stuff than I did.

Genuinely, thanks for your concern though.

In the case of a table
Thanks Chud. You're absolutely right.

So it's lucky I got all of that too. Plus some other bits and bobs, like four routers, two tables, a woodrat, jigsaws, a multitool, circular saws, an extensive collection of hadtools from Veritas, Lie Neilsen, Stanley etc. two seperate dust extraction systems. Oh and two regular benches, plus a festool CMS and and an MFT with the guide system. I am reasonably well equipped.

The domino though is a fairly recent purchase.

I got my first saw, which came from a size appropriate woodworking tool kit, (and is still on the wall in my workshop), when I was four. That was some fifty four years ago. My dad bought it for me. He was an engineer.

Again, you're absolutely right.

It would indeed, but this wouldn't be my first project, just, hopefully, my next. My kick off project was a stool that my sister "ruined" by pasting a picture of Herman's Hermits to the seat. I have no idea what happened to that.

This is why the question I asked was about the material, which I hadn't seen before. Just to check whether anyone here new more about that stuff than I did.

Genuinely, thanks for your concern though.

Lol, sorry - I guess I misread your OP!

Have you checked the wood is the same piece front to back through the door? just wondering if it's been made by laminating furniture board together to create a thicker piece?

Given you have a surface planer if you want to make your door out of laminated smaller pieces you could create your own laminated stock from which to make the rails and stiles - bit of a bum ache though!

In the case of a table

Have you checked the wood is the same piece front to back through the door? just wondering if it's been made by laminating furniture board together to create a thicker piece?

Yeah that had occurred to me. It really doesn't look like it. The large central rail isn't checkable without killing the door, but the outer rails seem to be laminated accross the width (and length) but not accross the thickness, (unless they have an outer edge laminate specifically to create that effect - if you see what I mean).

Given you have a surface planer if you want to make your door out of laminated smaller pieces you could create your own laminated stock from which to make the rails and stiles - bit of a bum ache though!

True and so very true.

The other problem is that my local wood yard is peopled by knuckle draggers who double check 4 x £5 on a calculator and who's answer to enquiries like this is always "all we've got is on display mate".

I guess I'm going to have to drive further afield and find a better class of wood yard.

Thanks again.

the thing is the manufacturers of those doors probably carry out the whole process themselves from laminating the timber to making the doors. They are made essentially from scrap maybe bought in cheaply or even left overs from their own processes.
Personally I think you could get a better looking finish from solid wood, you have the tools to make a decent traditionally jointed door.

Ha Ha I got my first woodworking set when I was about 4 too, in the days when the tools were essentially mini versions of the real thing, my parents were woken on Christmas day by the sound of me sawing through one of the legs on my bed and they came in to find wood glue all over the carpet. My Great Aunt who gave me the present wasn't too popular.

Your Great Aunt sounds like she was a fine lady!

You're right about the solid wood, that might end up being the way to go. I had an idea that the laminated stuff may be cheaper and posibly more stable. Pointless if I can't find any though. Thanks guys for all the advice.

Your Great Aunt sounds like she was a fine lady!

Oh she is. she used to be quite high up in the local scouts and believed that boys should always carry a penknife, and used to give my parents a hard time when they wouldn't let me keep it all the time.
One birthday she gave me a crossbow, which was in my possession for all of a minute, before my Dad whisked it away.

I know it as 'engineered timber' but if you watch 'Grand Designs' it, in larger sizes, is also called 'GlueLam'.

Normally for doors etc it consists of strips 1x5/8inch (25x15mm) strips glued together to make up the required board - say 5x1 and then veneered of the final timber finish with 1/16-1/8 veneer on both sides and one edge to make the 1&1/4 (30) thickness for the door stiles and rails.

For an 1&1/2inch (40mm) door then the strips will that much wider.

No idea where you can buy it from.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back