does UK require route the mains cable inside pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm having some work done at my house and I noticed that when my builder altering my electrics, for example, the spot lights on the ceiling, he lays the mains cable for the lights on the loft floor. I thought it is not supposed to just lay there exposed, to prevent damage to the cable like rat bites? I asked him if he should route the mains cables in plastic pipes to protect the cable but he said it is not necessary and what he does meets the UK safety regulations.

Can anyone confirm?

Sponsored Links
Well, I've never seen any upstairs lighting cable run through pipes/tubes in a loft. Mind you, if you have a loft floor fitted, perhaps it would have been neater to lay them underneath the floor. AFAIK, only cables in walls go through pipes.

They do it in France - often they run single unsheathed cores in trunking. You can significantly reduce the performance of a cable doing this, however.

They do it in France - often they run single unsheathed cores in trunking. You can significantly reduce the performance of a cable doing this, however.
Maybe they do but I think the OP is in the UK and that's what his question was about.

Sponsored Links
Well, I've never seen any upstairs lighting cable run through pipes/tubes in a loft. Mind you, if you have a loft floor fitted, perhaps it would have been neater to lay them underneath the floor. AFAIK, only cables in walls go through pipes.

Thank you Motman, yes the cables in walls have the protection cover - not pipes just a plastic cover then the plaster over the cover - not the best but I guess it will do what it's supposed to.

I don't have loft floors, just the heat insulation materials then the cables lay over it. Looks a mess but it is not what I am concerned with. I was worried if any potential safety issues. If this meets the regulations, then I'll leave it as it is for now.

AFAIK, only cables in walls go through pipes.
Actually there is no requirement for insulated and sheathed cables to be in conduit or covered by anything else anywhere, assuming that the wiring system is suitable for the environment.

Not required, but you can have them if you want. Most people don't bother because it costs more.

prevent damage to the cable like rat bites?
Rats can chew through plastic pipes just as well as plastic cable insulation.
If rats are a problem, get rid of the rats. If that's not possible, steel conduit is the only realistic answer.

Not required, but you can have them if you want. Most people don't bother because it costs more.

Rats can chew through plastic pipes just as well as plastic cable insulation.
If rats are a problem, get rid of the rats. If that's not possible, steel conduit is the only realistic answer.

You are absolutely right, rats are separate issue that should be dealt with if happens, I was just making an example.

Steel conduit is what we use for home internal wiring but that was mostly because it is easier to replace the wiring if required, and usually the wiring are in the walls not in the loft.

So as long there's no specific requirements and mains cable in loft meets the safety requirements I am fine with it. Might be fitting some floor board in the loft just to make it look neater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back