D'oh. Used interior paint outside....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Used Leyland acrylic primer/undercoat (which is interior & exterior) for an outdoor timber cupboard/bike storage unit, then a top coat of Leyland Trade Eggshell which only afterwards did I realize does not say it's suitable for exterior.

Any ideas? Should I find something to paint over it with or should it be ok? My guess is it will be alright, might not last as long, but seems pretty tough.

Sponsored Links
Any ideas? Should I find something to paint over it with or should it be ok? My guess is it will be alright, might not last as long, but seems pretty tough.

Either really, another coat won't do it any harm, or just leave it and find out what happens, it's done now !

Personally I'd find out first from Leyland's website if it is suitable for exterior use.
If it is, no problem, if it isn't, then put another coat on of a paint that is !:cool:

It just won't last as long. Paint it in gloss next time.

Sponsored Links
You won't find many. Sikkens do one but they are very pricey.

surely in 2012 there are exterior paints with a finish other than gloss ??

That's kind of what I was thinking.

In any event, I had some "trade" external gloss from a retailer that went on less than two years ago and is now almost completely removed itself from the exterior window frames. Must have had an argument with the wood I reckon.

I might get lucky with the eggshell, come back here in 5 years saying, "guys, you'll never guess what.....".

Wouldn't surprise me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back