Doing jobs for neighbours.

D

durhamplumber

I live in a 20odd property cul-de-sac..This weekend..I neighbour came knocking about combi leak...Next day other neighbour had mini flood due to tap flexi hose.I do not mind helping in emergency but shy away from servicing neighbour gas appliances, replacing taps etc...because eventually it ends up in some sort of bad feeling...What do others do??

Sponsored Links
A multi-skilled builder friend used to live in a cul-de-sac, and he too was helpful.
His door was knocked at all hours, mainly for stuff like leaks and electrical issues.

Once he'd finished his own house and made enough money from its sale, he moved somewhere without neighbours.

When my workshop was attached to my house, I used to get people knocking on my door at all times - late at night, Sunday’s, Christmas Day even (wife had bought him a car radio for Xmas and he wanted it fitted that day!) it felt like I was always at work. We split the house and workshop, sold the house and moved. It was a relief when we moved and I had to travel in to work - at least when I left work, I left work. Living over the shop has its benefits but only for so long!

Sponsored Links
My wife works from home because she is disabled. She runs her own company but subcontracts the vast majority of her work to a security company who pay quite good for the service. Basically she is the Operations Manager and organises the running of the outsourced services. Her 'stated' hours of work are between 8.00am to 5.30pm with time off in between for breaks and lunch. Sadly, because the security business is 24/7 she can still be working after 5.30 or start again late evening because something has happened. I've even come down stairs with her at 3.00am to sort out a break in at a premises that only had, what is termed 'keys only'. Basically this means someone will check a few times a week if the place is secure and respond if an alarm is raised. It can be a right pain in the 'arris and yes, she has done some work on Christmas/Boxing/New Years days over the years. But, as she says, it pays the bills.
Back in Liverpool I was often asked to, "Just have a quick look at something for me/my friend/sister etc. Usually ended up doing the flaming thing then they would slip you a tenner and say, "Thanks love, here are get yourself a drink." After 3 or 4 hours work I usually needed one! :mad:

What do others do??
We do bits and pieces for our elderly next door neighbour. My bro' and me fixed her burst outside tap, one Christmas eve.

I'm not keen on working with people close to me but it's inevitable. I drew the line quickly up at our golf club though. I told the secretary straight, that I'm up here to play golf and not get involved in the club in any other capacity.

I basically keep my skills secret from my neighbours and reluctantly help out friends. I have volunteered help in a few emergency situations, but no scroungers around here.

You should "work with computers". IT is a very broad "profession" with hundreds of different jobs, technologies, sectors etc. But because you "work in computers" people assume you can fix an issue with their laptop and seem surprised when the answer might be, "not a clue".

You should "work with computers". IT is a very broad "profession" with hundreds of different jobs, technologies, sectors etc. But because you "work in computers" people assume you can fix an issue with their laptop and seem surprised when the answer might be, "not a clue".
lol, I 'work with computers' and recall one time at work telling colleagues about fitting a kitchen. One of them looked at me with a puzzled expression. 'You fitted a kitchen?!?' they said with some surprise. 'Yes, why so surprised?' I replied. 'But you work with computers!' was the reply. 'Yes' I said 'but believe it or not I can do other things as well :)'

And as you make reference to, although I 'work with computers' I'm more involved in the project/financial management side. Haven't been hands on for 15ish years, haven't kept my skills updated so these days know very little about actually fixing them!

As to the OP's quandary, I can imagine it must be a bit of a nightmare for tradespeople with family/friends/neighbours looking for favours. Maybe not so bad if they're prepared to put their hand in their pocket ... maybe also not bad if they're very good looking! Yes, I am that shallow :)

I live in a 20odd property cul-de-sac..This weekend..I neighbour came knocking about combi leak...Next day other neighbour had mini flood due to tap flexi hose.I do not mind helping in emergency but shy away from servicing neighbour gas appliances, replacing taps etc...because eventually it ends up in some sort of bad feeling...What do others do??

Funny, I live between 2 builders (one 2 doors down, the other recently moved in). So tempted to ask their opinion on things (e.g my chimney) and wife suggests we should ask one if he can removed, but I life to keep things more relaxed with neighbours - of something went wrong it could cause problems and ill feeling.

I've heard previously that a very high percentage of deals/jobs are made and sealed on a golf course.
Now you are talking about fellow players - different gravy.

I recently completed an Ethan Mason patio for a fellow golf club member (Autumn). Only a very small percentage of work I get from fellow members.

Bizarrely, the thought of someone having to pay high charges for work, means that I end up doing stuff for them for free! o_O

Sponsored Links
Back