Domain Names & Web Hosting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So this has got me a bit confused, if I buy a domain name, along with an email address of my domain name, is that all I need to be able to send & recieve emails to that address, or will I need to purchase web hosting aswell for the mail box to be on?

Moderators can you give me 24 hours for this email to stay in General Discussion pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee as I need answers fast becase need to make website quick! :D :D

Sponsored Links
If you buy a domain name then you get a domain name.

You don't "buy" Email addresses.

If you want to publish a web site then you need a host for that site.

You also need to configure the DNS records to point to the web site host and the DNS server pair.

Most web site hosts will also host your Email. This also needs DNS configuration.

Most hosts will either help you to configure DNS, or do it for you.

Your own broadband ISP might offer cheap web & mail hosting. Plusnet, for example, has a very good offering.

If you choose an external host, then pay a reasonable amount, or you'll regret it.

Don't get into contract with EasySpace, even if they offer you a service for nothing, or you'll never ever ever get rid of them, and they won't delete your personal details from the sales database.

What else do you need to know?
____________________________-

Mods, this belongs in "Software".

its just for my business cards i want to put an email for example [email protected]

Is there a better way of doing this rather than buying a domain and paying for hosting?

If you want Email without web hosting then it's easy and cheap.

For example, if you buy the domain using "FastHosts", then they'll operate Email forwarding for nothing. You can then configure your Email client to make your sent messages appear to come from your_name@your_domain.com.

Sponsored Links
I use LCN, not hosting just by the domain name, then set up a blog and get your domain name to point at it, which you can do with ease from your LCN account, and you can set up Email forwarding, I'm still not sure what hosting is all about!! I guess they just regularly submit the site to the search engines as everyone uses Google whats the point.
p.s choose your domain with care, .com is best but .me is also good and keep it short and simple.

as mentioned you can register the domain only. The you can get a bucket load of functionality by using the free google services and employing smoke and mirrors. There are many other firms that will give you free webspace without adds. You just take advantage of the free forwarding services with your registrar

I like 123-reg.co.uk for .uk domains and use american firms for .com and .net

Be warned that some registrars have hidden costs. Some whack their prices up in year three. .co.uk domains have to be registered every 2 years and .com from one to 10 years. Most will charge for any kind of pop service but then you can (invisibly) power your email with a google backend for free.

Sponsored Links
Back