domestic 3 ph supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has anybody had a 3 ph supply installed into there property and roughly how much it costs .
my house is running 60A when heating on and voltage drops to 220v its at 15A and 240v when heating off .
is 60 A excessive in modern times ???

Sponsored Links
do you mean you are heating your house by Electricity?

Speaking as a shareholder I don't mind you shovelling money into my pocket, but why? What is the loading?

Sponsored Links
i have a trianco 12kw heating system.
i live on a farm my house is about 100m from pole transformer comes to mine and my neighbours house and a cable comes to each house .
if i pay for a new cable from transformer to my house how does my neighbour get power ?? house empty at moment

If/when you replace the heating system, consider an airconditioning system with ground source heat pump facility. These make incredibly efficient heaters. You could heat your house on 4kw of electric, due to the 4:1 energy efficiency ratio. For every 1kw the units use, they give out up to 4kw of heat. ;)

Oh, and they wont cause so much disturbance on the supply, as well as cutting your electric bills in half.

Crafty said:
If/when you replace the heating system, consider an airconditioning system with ground source heat pump facility. These make incredibly efficient heaters. You could heat your house on 4kw of electric, due to the 4:1 energy efficiency ratio. For every 1kw the units use, they give out up to 4kw of heat. ;)

Oh, and they wont cause so much disturbance on the supply, as well as cutting your electric bills in half.

But they become less efficient as the outside temperature gets lower and lower and they risk freezing up!

have just had electric boiler installed at £2000 , second heating system in 9 months had stove with boiler but could not get enough output and my garden id detached from house so noplace for oil/gas tank and radiators were already in place . so im not planing to change again

ricicle, thats the benefit of ground source heat pumps. they take heat from the ground and arent affected by snow or defrost cycles etc.

Also, @ the OP, if you have 4 houses fed from a single phase tx, you'd also have to pay for the tx to be upgraded to 3 phase, and the 3 other houses to be spread across all 3 phases. Cost would run into 10's of thousands. Not worth it. And the Tx probably wont have a 3 phase supply to transform, as your out in the stix (how many wires supply the tx?)

So the way to reduce the load is heat pumps. Which work best with air con blowers or underfloor pipes. (far cheaper than the transrormer upgrade!)

Or oil or bottled gas heating.

Sorry Crafty didn't see the ground source bit of your post :oops:

That's what comes of trying to talk to the missus at the same time :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back