Domestic CU - how much more for RCBO vs. split RCD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently buying a house and looking to get the old distribution board replaced with a modern consumer unit (it's perfectly fine, but there's an electric shower I want to replace which isn't RCD protected - I figure it's better to upgrade the CU to add RCD protection to all circuits rather than retrofit an RCD onto one).

My electrician has quoted £400 to install a standard 8-way split load CU. I requested a price for an equivalent RCBO unit and he's quoted £750! Looking online at prices of CUs and RCBOs, the difference in price seems excessive.

Needless to say I will get more quotes, but how much more should I expect to pay for an RCBO unit? Are they harder or more time consuming to install?

If they really are that much more expensive I'll probably compromise on a dual RCD unit...

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
My electrician has quoted £400 to install a standard 8-way split load CU. I requested a price for an equivalent RCBO unit and he's quoted £750! Looking online at prices of CUs and RCBOs, the difference in price seems excessive.
In terms of component costs, I'd certainly agree with you. For most reputable makes, RCBOs cost about £20 more than MCBs - so, for 8 circuits that would be an additional £160. However, you're saving on not having to have two RCDs which, between them, could cost £50-£100, so I wouldn't expect there to be more than about £100 difference in component costs, at most.

Kind Regards, John

And it surely shouldn't cost an extra £250 for the extra 6 RCD tests.

dj - is the "equivalent" RCBO model the same make, or just the same number of ways?

And it surely shouldn't cost an extra £250 for the extra 6 RCD tests.

dj - is the "equivalent" RCBO model the same make, or just the same number of ways?

Just the same number of ways; he didn't specify the makes (I wanted to specify Hagar but thought it better to go with whatever he's used to installing).

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't expect there to be more than about £100 difference in component costs, at most.
There could be a bit more than that.

Had he planned to install a £50 all-in CU, i.e. £350 labour.

Now he is going to have to buy separate parts which may be, say, £250.

So, 250 + 350 = £600.

If he uses a well known wholesaler the price could well be 'make up a number'.

Had he planned to install a £50 all-in CU, i.e. £350 labour. ... Now he is going to have to buy separate parts which may be, say, £250.
Can you really get a fully-populated dual-RCD CU for that little (the RCDs alone would cost at least that much if bought as 'separates')?

Whatever, even if that were the case, it would (as you illustrate) only account for an extra £200 - not £350 - for parts, and the additional 'labour' is minimal.

Kind Regards, John

Can you really get a fully-populated dual-RCD CU for that little (the RCDs alone would cost at least that much if bought as 'separates')?

Picking a random online retailer, they have a 10-way Hager split RCD unit fully populated with your choice of MCBs for £55 (VAT-in).

A Hagar 8-way fully populated with RCBOs is £213 VAT-in delivered.

So clearly he's having a laugh (esp as he's not VAT registered)... I would assume he's got a van-full of cut-price units he wants to shift...

Anyway thanks for the replies everyone, I can now go and get some quotes properly informed about what I'm asking for and what the parts should cost. And I will specify the make to make sure I get a decent unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back