Domestic Electricity Metering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are domestic electricity meters calibrated in watts or VA.
The reason I ask is that I am considering installing HP Sodium security lighting around my property. Looking at the spec of these lights they have a reletively high Power Factor and are rated in VA and not Watts. Therefore if the metering is in watts, the units will not be as expensive to run for obvious reasons.

Anyone have the answer

Sponsored Links
funny that really, considering that is what is printed on the front of them

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
funny that really, considering that is what is printed on the front of them
Hi Breezer,
It maybe, just maybe, that the electricity suppliers, quite reasonably, assume a domstic load of Unity Power Factor. and as such Watts and VA are the same thing, and a VA meter is cheaper to produce than a Wattmeter. Also the general public are more familiar with the term watts rather than VA as all domestic appliances are rated in Watts, hence the label on the meter. Believe it or not, we can all read and in some cases understand.
The suggestion and reason for a meter calibrated in VA is hinted in the question. without the need for such synisism.

I have been having fun with a power meter ... monitoring usage.

My freezer (aged beast) when cooling pulls 165 watts but 300 VA, a power factor of 0.55 -- It currently ;) averages 50 Watt (91 VA) per hour over a week, partially full, in unheated garage... 8.4 kWh (8.4 units at about 10.4p a throw - less than 88p a week)
One of my 20Watt Osram Compact Fluorescent Lamps shows PF of 0.60 running 18 Watts at 30 VA
We are metered for kWh (kiloWatt hours).

I have posed the question hereabouts in the past.

Have a butchers here... a little discussion ... Do they all agree with each other.. mmm?
Click link...

;)

Hi empip
But what is the question

empip said:
I have been having fun with a power meter ... monitoring usage.

My freezer (aged beast) when cooling pulls 165 watts but 300 VA, a power factor of 0.55 -- It currently ;) averages 50 Watt (91 VA) per hour over a week, partially full, in unheated garage... 8.4 kWh (8.4 units at about 10.4p a throw - less than 88p a week)
One of my 20Watt Osram Compact Fluorescent Lamps shows PF of 0.60 running 18 Watts at 30 VA
We are metered for kWh (kiloWatt hours).

I have posed the question hereabouts in the past.

Have a butchers here... a little discussion ... Do they all agree with each other.. mmm?
Click link...

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back