Domestic Plumber Jobs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello :)

I am a plumber and have been working in a fixed place maintenance role for almost a decade. I am thinking about applying for a vacancy for a local company working in domestic properties.

For anyone who works as a domestic plumber, I hope this doesn't sound silly - but I'd like to ask what type of call outs you receive. What ones are most common so I know what to expect if I get the job. I suppose a lot of the common problems I have experienced will arise but being in domestic properties there will also be a lot of additional situations that I will need to prepare for and tool up on.

Thanks for any help and advice offered.

Lee.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.

One thing about leaks I have never used is a pipe freezing kit! I have read that the disposable ones (Rothenberger) are reliable. Would you recommend one for a burst pipe job where the stopcock(s) are inaccessible/dud?

Only if you can stop the flow - you can't use a freeze kit on moving water!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.

One thing about leaks I have never used is a pipe freezing kit! I have read that the disposable ones (Rothenberger) are reliable. Would you recommend one for a burst pipe job where the stopcock(s) are inaccessible/dud?

Don't tend to freeze hot/cold water as above post, I will go to external stop tap if I cannot isolate locally or at internal stop tap.
Pipe freezing useful on central heating, as draining down and filling up can be quite time consuming.

Haven't bothered with a freezing kit in donkey's years.

If I can't isolate/drain down then just cut in a service valve live.

Balls of steel me :LOL:

of course (what an idiot I am)! :oops:

Yes I see about heating pipes - I have drained down before and it can be time consuming and then the additional cost of inhibitor etc.

What do you personally do if the external stopcock (and internal one) cannot be turned off in an emergency? I had to get the water board to change my external stopcock about a year ago as it was not engaging and shutting off the supply.

bungs for heating and tank fed jobs

resize.jpg

What do you personally do if the external stopcock (and internal one) cannot be turned off in an emergency?

Adjustable wrench set to backnut size and a pair of grips to hold the stop-cock, new stopcock (fully open), cut damaged pipe, new stop-cock onto cut pipe and tighten compression backnut, close new stop-cock, go and get dried off!

If you've got the time short length of copper onto the new open stop-cock with a length of hose attached to the copper and held with a jubilee clip - hose trailed out of property, but depends on the supply pressure as you may not be able to hold it whilst tightening up the back nut.

I Get a lot of calls about leaking taps and stiff tap heads. Both are a complete pain in the a*se. It takes five minutes to change a valve but hours to work out where to buy it.

Also leaking seals around baths and showers which need to be removed and re-applied.

My main work is bathroom re-fits including tiling and decorating which is nice because I get to fit all the new stuff.

A lot will be blocked bogs/soils.Some people will have a problem all week but only report it at 7:30 on a saturday night :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your replies. Yes I expected the old "blocked bog" one!

I can do basic plastering and tiling - but most of the jobs are stated as plumbing/heating repairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back