Plumber/gas tech rates of pay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mod:- Please move is a more suitable forum is available, thanks!

With the exception of JobCenterPlus, is there a site giving a guide regarding actual pay levels? Work are advertising but I know they are asking far too little - I would like to advise them of what the industry really thinks. This would be multiple different projects, similar to those a facility/maintenance company would deal with. Located somewhere like Cambridge for 'localised weighting' purposes. Probably looking at a minimum of 2 years experience.

Looking for a guide for:-

General Plumber NVQ2 qualified
General Plumber NVQ3 qualified

Additional amount for Natural Gas - pipework and domestic boiler repair/maintenance
Additional amount for Oil - pipework and domestic boiler repair/maintenance

This would INCLUDE the plumber being responsible for his/her own re-certification, however paid time off for this would be given.

Please advise if further parameters are required. An £18k to 22k kind of guide is sufficient.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
I have a guy who works for me. 6 years experience, Gas safe registered (I paid for registration and annual fee), I pay his travel, he works on site every day, very few callouts and he is on £30k per year. I think this is a lot more realistic a salary.

Sponsored Links
About the same, tech, engineer or otherwise the price would only drop when you take gas out of the title.

Then you become a plumbum! ;)

Jon

Anyway, the 84 ph was a tongue in cheek nod to those that might get it.

As far as a PAYE guy goes and depending on the scope of work then it should fall into the 28 to 35k pa. Depends in a lot of factors but as a ball park figure you should find a decent guy.

I'm paid as PMES band 4, so tech fitter plus band 4 incentives.

I posted a thread regarding this on here the other day.
Experienced qualified site Plumbers with ACS, CSCS etc are like gold dust here in Scotland & with the ever increasing boast in the construction industry, SNIPEF/JIB rates are a thing of the past. Most good guys are looking for £18/hr books-in & that's just for starters.

After the building industry went t.ts up in 08 loads of guys moved on to other jobs, jobs where you don't need to fork out over £1K in training every 5 years!! So now there's a skills shortage & it's a shortage course Cowboys & sausage rolls can't fill - they got found out the last time & we're still tidying up the mess they left behind.

1/ Employers; increase your tender prices & rates.
2/ Employees; don't work for peanuts.
3/ Skool leavers; forget about Mickey mouse Uni course, get a good Plumbing apprenticeship.

Basic starting at 18k for a skilled tradesman! That's around £8.65 an hour only a couple of quid more than minimum wage, is your firm having a laugh?

18 - 22 was a Kind of guide , not what the firm was paying . So £30 - 34 is about right . It never was great pay down here in the Rich S.E :rolleyes: . One time I looked at a job with the ( pre privatised ) electric co. Changing street lamps using a van mounted cherry picker . Rate was the same as I was getting with my C+G advanced plumber status :eek: Plus perks and overtime for twilight run to note the outages. It wasn`t a job ,it was a vocation ;)

Yeah, thanks!

My guide rate was just an example of range - just trying to indicate a 'this to that' would be sufficient.

Some interesting discussion, thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back