plumber competence reprised

not bad, 480L/sec is about 1728 tons of water moved in an hour :rolleyes:

a 420L/sec would be a 17640kw boiler at 10c diff btw

Sponsored Links
For 20kW at a differential of 10C, I think I need 480 litre/sec, and in 22mm pipe that's exceeding 1.5 m/s flow, I think.?

Achrn , do yourself a favour and get someone who knows what they are doing , 20 kw @ 10c DT would be around 0.476 l/s (22mm tube = 1.48 m/s) , dont torture yourself buddy ;) , employ the right company sit back and enjoy , you don't need to know. ;)

FWIW..............480l/s x 4.2 x 10c = 20,160 kw. :eek: , if using 22mm tubing velocity would be around 1,500 metres second. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What is it that makes me think you are fishing for info ;) no matter how hard you try you won't get a qualification in heating design & spec off the internet. :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Now don't get me wrong , as we speak i'm trying to spec a circulator that might be fit for the purpose. :LOL: :LOL:

Yes, I said 480 l/sec when it should have been 0.48. I said I was looking for 20kW and the figures suggested 1.5 m/s. But ha ha you've found my figure implies 20,160kW and 1,500 m/sec

While you could have just said "yes you got the numbers right, but you've dropped the decimal point out" you chose to say I didn't know what I was doing, you're trying to find a circulator, etc etc .

So while you were having a good old laugh at my expense, actually you've confirmed the calcs I did were right, which is helpful. Thank you. As it happens, my calcs are fine, my decimal point is happily sitting where it ought to be on the paper. My error lies in transferring the answer from my pieces of paper onto the forum posting.

What I don't understand is the comment "What is it that makes me think you are fishing for info". Yes - that's what the forum is for, I thought? People want information and make a posting asking for it. I most certainly am fishing for information, because I don't have the information I need to conduct a reasoned fact-based discussion with the contractors my builder has employed, and I want to have that conversation so that I can make informed decisions.

I can't just "employ the right company" for two reasons - from a position of ignorance I have no way of identifying the right company, and it's not my appointment to make - I've employed the builder, the builder employs the plumber. Unfortunately, my builder seems to have a blind spot about plumbing - he seems top be of the opinion that as long as the water isn't actually falling out of it, the system must be fine.

Well I offered a solution if it was undersized to take to the table, something you plumber may be interested in if. ??

Sponsored Links
what you really want is to rip up your floors :LOL:

a just as valid solution is to take your over sized boiler out and replace it with something smaller and will give you a much better flow through it.

or place a second pump in series

or fit a LLH or plate heat exchanger

or even leave as is, you can't even used the full 30kw anyway in normal every day use.

anyway, got my numbers wrong as well :oops:

very few RGI will install a mathematical perfect system for you. the one that do are not the ones that your builder will employ.

Am I missing something? Was the 20kW still proposing running at a 20C differential at the boiler?

use 20c as your boiler is designed for that temp rise over it.

OK, I think this is resolved. Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

I've been at the house for about hour this morning with the newest plumber and gone through everything he proposes to do. This chap was quite happy to show me his registration number (and I've checked that at gas safe). He proposes to remove and redo the contents of the cylinder cupboard, I think because he doesn't want to be associated with it as it stands. From the discussion I had, he understands that I've got a large cupboard so that the system can be spaced tidily and therefore be properly and easily maintainable.

On the topic of the 22mm flow and return, he is of the opinion that it is sufficient as it is (ie, at 22mm) but has recognised that I am dubious about it, so it's going to be changed to 28mm. To be frank, I think he doesn't want me blaming any future fault (real or imagined) on the 22mm pipework.

He has found yet more faults (in the plumbing side rather than the heating side, which no-one else has examined previously) - eg outside tap for a hose with no check valve on the supply to it. There are also some other bits and pieces he's identified that are going to be changed to make things neater and tidier (but which I had not realised could be done better) and everything he proposed sounded sensible.

Regarding the D2, he's investigated under the bath and he says it is compliant as is. He sounded convincing enough to me (and I was going to accept it as is anyway).

So thanks all for your help in giving me enough to recognise when I was being fed rubbish, and feel confident I'm now being told sense.

TFFT. We can all sleep at night now.

OK, I think this is resolved. Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

This chap was quite happy to show me his registration number (and I've checked that at gas safe).

That was his Gas Safe card he showed you then? Also, don't forget to check his competencies on the back of it. "Once bitten, twice shy" springs to mind........ :mrgreen:

That was his Gas Safe card he showed you then? Also, don't forget to check his competencies on the back of it. "Once bitten, twice shy" springs to mind........ :mrgreen:

Yes, I've got (and checked) Gas Safe number, I haven't checked his unvented, he's promised that I'll get that before he does work to the cylinder (at the moment he's fixing other stuff).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back