Plumbing / gas engineer national rates of pay

croydoncorgi said:
These comments about various and varying national and regional rates and the shenanigans of employments agencies are both strong arguments AGAINST any form of 'collective bargaining'. OK - if you can trust your union rep to negotiate on your behalf and get a good deal for you (and your colleagues, idle and hard-working, skilled or half-baked) and you're happy with the result, all well and good. Problem is that the deal will be unfair to maybe half of those covered by it! And it presents a massive target for the parasites XXXXXXX employment agencies coming in with offers of cheaper labour.
Much better to prove your individual worth to your employer and persuade him to reward you for it. The purpose of your work is to turn a profit for your employer. It's usually quite easy to find out the margins on the work you're doing and compare it with what you're actually paid. If the comparison fails to satisfy you, you have four choices: take it on the chin, try to re-negotiate a bigger share of the action, get a different employer, or become self-employed).

dont disagree with what your saying here mate, but as i mentioned above my company work in line with these rates and thats every tradesmen... we also work bonus so the leechers get stung if they dont work there worth !!!!! the problem we are having is they are saying this is a plumbing rate, so only applicable to PLUMBERS !! they are already paying up the ADVANCED PLUMBER / SERVICE ENGINEER RATE which is good enough but others are being paid Technician plumber rate and our arguement is we should also be getting this....

Our arguement is solely on the rate of pay advertised being NOT just a PLUMBER RATE... that is all. Ive seen lots of replies about pay rates but basically all I want to know is if the rates above ARE OR ARE NOT JUST PLUMBER RATES.... still awaiting reply from both the SNIJIB and the acusman sites on this, just wondered if anyone could give a straight yes or no on the subject !!

Sponsored Links
I said:

ACOperson said:
Well they've got to make a few quid somehow I suppose...

B.O.B said:

B.O.B dole said:
i think that is a bad attitude they are scum

Then I had a go at B.O.B for being negative all the time, and he replied:

B.O.B dole said:
for one ac the post was not intended for you and second he was asking for pay advice so just what is your problem

Anyone see what he did there?

B.O.B, the post was quite obviously intended at me as it was a response to my statement and, like all of your other posts to me, it was intended to rile me. That is my problem.

All I was doing was giving the guy an answer to a post he put up.

wilhelm said:
bob.... youre a fekkin ijjeet. if folk dont make profit. then it all grinds to a halt.
why not ship out your talents to north korea?

the truth hurts does in it (nowilly) and you could not handle the truth
what the frukkent big dick attitude have you got then here
you mother sucking a.ss wipe

Sponsored Links
B.O.B DOLE said:
wilhelm said:
bob.... youre a fekkin ijjeet. if folk dont make profit. then it all grinds to a halt.

what the hell has all this to do with my question ?

this was a simple thread about the rates shown on the webpage ! NOT A DEBATE ON THE WAGES ON OFFER OR PERSONAL ARGUEMENTS...

I come here for advise and answers to simple questions.

lets just stick to answering questions IF POSSIBLE!!

mmalone said:
B.O.B DOLE said:
wilhelm said:

what the hell has all this to do with my question ?

this was a simple thread about the rates shown on the webpage ! NOT A DEBATE ON THE WAGES ON OFFER OR PERSONAL ARGUEMENTS...

I come here for advise and answers to simple questions.

lets just stick to answering questions IF POSSIBLE!!

I find it quite amusing.

Beats reading 10 post a day on how to recharge an expansion vessel.

I find it quite amusing.

Beats reading 10 post a day on how to recharge an expansion vessel.[/quote]

amusing yeah !! but taking over the relevence of the thread!

the whole idea behind this thread was just to see if people thought or even knew if the rates on the weblink given were JUST PLUMBING RATES OR NOT.

ps. How do you recharge one ! :rolleyes:

mmalone, yes I would say that those rates on the SNIPEF document on your weblink are about right. In Scotland a domestic heating engineer WITH gas accreditation usually gets about £23.5k gross.

The ones for England & Wales are probably not far off, hard to generalise for the whole of England as the rates tend to get higher the further South you go (London heating engineers with gas are usually on approx £27k gross).

And generally speaking a gas engineer will receive a higher wage than a plumber, if you are talking about employees of medium to large firms. It sounds like your bosses are being a bit cheeky if you are a gas engineer and they're saying your wages will not go up.

ACOperson said:
mmalone, yes I would say that those rates on the SNIPEF document on your weblink are about right. In Scotland a domestic heating engineer WITH gas accreditation usually gets about £23.5k gross.

The ones for England & Wales are probably not far off, hard to generalise for the whole of England as the rates tend to get higher the further South you go (London heating engineers with gas are usually on approx £27k gross).

And generally speaking a gas engineer will receive a higher wage than a plumber, if you are talking about employees of medium to large firms. It sounds like your bosses are being a bit cheeky if you are a gas engineer and they're saying your wages will not go up.

The problem we have mate is the boss is a plumber with gas tickets and makes out due to plumbers being able to do both plumbing and gas they are worth more... dont disagree if the plumbers are good with gas and CAN DO BOTH but all except 1 are clueless with fault find and repair and most dont know how boilers work at all...

As I said we are a large company and do follow these rates and yes we feel they are being very cheeky...

as i said they pay us these rates but say these are Plumbing rates only and we are currently fighting for the TECHNICIAN RATE....

We are paid better than a lot of other companies but feel if this is how they pay us we should be on the higher rate... bit annoying as I cant get a reply directly from the acusman site or SNIPEF !!

We do know the company are not obliged to actually pay these rates also as they are only guides, but it will be interesting if we can get a positive reply from SNIPEF etc !!!!

cheers !!

Well there is no requirement to actually BE qualified to do plumbing work, anyone can say they are a plumber, or have a plumbing NVQ. The test is whether or not you can actually do the job.

If you are gas engineers who are also competant at doing plumbing work then you should be paid as such. I myself have no plumbing qualification, but I do have NVQ2 in gas and the plumbing part I have learned through training and study of my own.

At the firm I'm currently working at in NW London, it works the other way. We have a couple of plumbers with no gas qualifications on about £90 per day, and the rest of us who are heating engs with gas qualifications who do plumbing if we're asked to on between £110 and £150 per day depending on length of service and ability.

fellow gas workers beware the east european cowboys are one the march. best one iv;e seen is a gas hob held up by 2 chairs piped in by rubber hose :p

mmalone re plumbers technician rate, this is few and far between now, and was always seen as the top of the tree with very few people actually gaining the quals, so to expect to be paid this rate for being a gas engineer is asking for too much, the name technician in gas may mean someone who can fix a boiler, but technician plumbers rate is far too much for a boiler fixer, in this day and age you should take care when fighting for too much, as others have said you will quickly find yourself looking for a new job, who do you work for?

Indeed - and half of most gas engineers are with BOB on the DOLE now :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back