Plumbing / gas engineer national rates of pay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, having a little dispute at work over wages etc .

work for a large maintenance company just now and normally our wage rises etc are set with Scotland and Northern Ireland (SNIJIB) suggested rates of pay. Now our bosses are stating these rates are only applicable to PLUMBERS and not GAS ENGINEERS.. Im a trained gas engineer NVQ LEVEL 3.....

I have looked at the following and also emailed about info but not yet had a reply as its a little vague to say the least ..

http://www.amicustheunion.org/default.aspx?page=1923

ok, from what I see its difficult to understand these rates fully as the heading page states guide for Plumbers, gas engineers etc.. BUT on opening the relevent PDF and reading I am unsre if the rates are for PLUMBERS with GAS QUALIFICATIONS or PLUMBERS AND GAS ENGINEERS SEPERATELY...

I tend to thik they are set for either or as there are no individual rates for just a PLUMBER mentioned...

can anyone advise ? on this who knows ??

also what is a TECHNICIAN PLUMBER ??

and would you say a TECHNICIAN GAS ENGINEER referred to on the rates is someone trained to SVQ level 3 ???

any advise on these rates appreciated !!!

Sponsored Links
Most contractors wont give pay rises as they know gas engineers
are 10 a penny and you will probably find the rates are going down the average wage per hr for breakdown/ service engineer is £10.50
ALDI SHELF FILLER £8.25 PER HR. I have had this argument before myself with boses at these corrupt contrators (hence the name bob dole)
and this is where you will end up disputing your wages. You must understand that they can now do what they like. They have full control and even the gov are in on it the gas game is built on corruption,
if i where you get out of the building trade as all such as electrictions , roofers, brickies, all will be on £10.00 hr,

I think the service engineer means just that, gas qualified and working on annual services. The technical engineer I have always understood to be a breakdown enginner....nothing to do with qualifications but just the job you are employed in.

For an idea of what wages are paid in certain geographical areas, I have used this website in the past:

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/index.html

You will have to click on the 'find a job' button, then follow the various prompts on screen and put in the relevent info for gas engineer etc but it brings up jobs and their wages.

Sponsored Links
ACOperson said:
For an idea of what wages are paid in certain geographical areas, I have used this website in the past:

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/index.html

You will have to click on the 'find a job' button, then follow the various prompts on screen and put in the relevent info for gas engineer etc but it brings up jobs and their wages.

i know someone in the job centre and she is a top boss and says all the jobs, or most qualified jobs are non existant they are there just for c.v collecting. for job agencies you can spot them stright away they advertise in all area,s giving great wages and its a scam all they want is your previous empolyment details so they can approch these company,s with cheap labour

ACOperson said:
Well they've got to make a few quid somehow I suppose...

i think that is a bad attitude they are scum and living off other peoples labour they are corrupt and they bargain with peoples lives they are slave merchants, this is what i have said before times have not changed from when the blacks where slaves now everyone is a slave,

they will always ask you what hourly rate you want and they will go to the next then the next and whoever will work for the leaset gets the job.

like i said 5 years from now everyone qualfied will be working for £8.oo hr

bob.... youre a fekkin ijjeet. if folk dont make profit. then it all grinds to a halt.
why not ship out your talents to north korea?

B.O.B DOLE said:
Most contractors wont give pay rises as they know gas engineers
are 10 a penny and you will probably find the rates are going down the average wage per hr for breakdown/ service engineer is £10.50
ALDI SHELF FILLER £8.25 PER HR. I have had this argument before myself with boses at these corrupt contrators (hence the name bob dole)
and this is where you will end up disputing your wages. You must understand that they can now do what they like. They have full control and even the gov are in on it the gas game is built on corruption,
if i where you get out of the building trade as all such as electrictions , roofers, brickies, all will be on £10.00 hr,

that i dont disagree with

but our company pay directly inline with the rates shown, we have a lot of GAS qualified plumbers which they tend to favour even though most of ours couldnt tell you how a boiler works !!

the only issue we have is they are saying this is a plumbing rate ONLY which is not as i read !!

If it is confirmed that it is a rate for either trademen then they have no option but to put us up the way the wageswork !!! my point is as as a breakdown/service engineer and trained to NVQ 3 WE SHOULD BE PAID TECHNICIAN LEVEL..

ollski said:
I think the service engineer means just that, gas qualified and working on annual services. The technical engineer I have always understood to be a breakdown enginner....nothing to do with qualifications but just the job you are employed in.

would agree with you on that one, however as NVQ LEVEL 3 incorps Breakdown / repair the tradesmen taught this way have passed assesments to gain this level some companies may take the professional level into consideration when considering wages etc... Ie a level 2 trained or ACS only trained operative compared to a level 3 trained operative...

all that aside i do agree on the job experience is far more important than the academic qualification....

appreciate the feedback, now heres hoping I can have this confirmed officially and feedback to them that these rates ARE NOT PLUMBERS ONLY RATES !!

GET OFF YOUR SOAPBOX FOR ONCE BOB.

All you ever seem to do on this site is moan about how little we're getting paid. Do you talk about this to your wife / friends?

Life's ****, get used to it and above all...

Be happy :D

These comments about various and varying national and regional rates and the shenanigans of employments agencies are both strong arguments AGAINST any form of 'collective bargaining'. OK - if you can trust your union rep to negotiate on your behalf and get a good deal for you (and your colleagues, idle and hard-working, skilled or half-baked) and you're happy with the result, all well and good. Problem is that the deal will be unfair to maybe half of those covered by it! And it presents a massive target for the parasites XXXXXXX employment agencies coming in with offers of cheaper labour.
Much better to prove your individual worth to your employer and persuade him to reward you for it. The purpose of your work is to turn a profit for your employer. It's usually quite easy to find out the margins on the work you're doing and compare it with what you're actually paid. If the comparison fails to satisfy you, you have four choices: take it on the chin, try to re-negotiate a bigger share of the action, get a different employer, or become self-employed).

There are tens of thousands of Poles and similar flooding into the country every month! They are used to earning near on nothing in their homeland so the minimum wage here is an absolute fortune to them.

Go round any B&Q these days and English is a second language - it's all Polish.

It's all end in tears. You just wait and see.

joe

ACOperson said:
GET OFF YOUR SOAPBOX FOR ONCE BOB.

All you ever seem to do on this site is moan about how little we're getting paid. Do you talk about this to your wife / friends?

Life's s**t, get used to it and above all...

Be happy :D

for one ac the post was not intended for you and second he was asking for pay advice so just what is your problem is it the truth or should we all think like you and pretend life is FAB AND COOL, when you grow up and put away your skateboard you will understand how this corruption helps ordenary people becoming slaves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back