Domestic Rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everyone, first post!

I'm about to embark on getting my home rewired, I work in the construction industry so I have an outline idea of what I need to do (or what I need my electrician to do!) but do not directly deal with electrics or domestic properties and as such could do with some guidance.

My understanding is that if I'm going to get my home rewired first I will need to submit a Building Notice to my LABC (for around £200) to inform them of the proposed work. The work will be carried out and I will obtain an Electrical Installation Certificate from my electrician (completing Form 1, 3 and 4 if they are a member of NICEIC, if not then they also need to complete Form 2 and I need to arrange from someone from NICEIC to come out to inspect and test the work) and submit this to my LABC upon completion of the work.

What's confusing me is that I have also read that if the electrician is a member of a Competent Persons Scheme that he (or her) can self-certify their work and as such will not need submit a Building Notice. Obviously if that was true, I'd be quite happy to save £200 however I'd rather have the job done right!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What's confusing me is that I have also read that if the electrician is a member of a Competent Persons Scheme that he (or her) can self-certify their work and as such will not need submit a Building Notice. Obviously if that was true, I'd be quite happy to save £200
That's the way it works.
You will receive an Electrical Installation Certificate and Schedules of Inspection and Testing, followed by a Certificate of Compliance.

The rest of your question didn't make much sense apart from needlessly paying £200.

Documentation from my LABC seemed to suggest that I would need to submit a Building Notice regardless, but that sounds straight forward, thank you.

Sponsored Links
If your chosen electrician is registered to self certify their work, which all electricians carrying out this sort of work really ought to be, there is no need to involve LABC your self. Your electrician will do the notification to them on your behalf and save you the £200

The £200 payment to labc is really for DIYers to make sure the job is done right. Electricians know what they're doing, therefore can self certify.

Electricians know what they're doing, therefore can self certify.
That maybe true of the majority but is not true of all electricians.

One must ensure the electrician is a member of a recognised organisation and is in good standing with that organisation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back