domestic ringmains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ring for the sockets upstairs in my house and a separate ring for the sockets downstairs. What are the regs concerning running a spur socket off the ring on one floor with the spurred socket being position on the other floor ? e.g. run a spur off the upstairs main and locate the spurred socket downstairs.

Sponsored Links
there is no reg against it

HOWEVER

there should be a clear indication on or near the CU as to which cuircuit does what. (though unfortuately there often isn't) if there is no such information you should create it. If there is you should update it to add a mention of the socket you added and the fact its not on the expected cuircuit.

Thanks plugwash. I might add that I didn't add it, I discovered it through my 'trust nothing' approach to electrics whilst doing some work myself. I'll label the CU and put a note inside the socket itself.

What's wrong with putting the new socket on the correct ring circuit :confused:

Sponsored Links
Ah, got it. Stuck it into google and it told me bathjobby was a registered user on DIYnot. Wonderful invention google. Only entry it gave me and exactly right. Bathjobby started the post.

So now I understand its relevance.

Well it is lost on me 'ban all sheds', 'Damocles', (kettle pot, pot kettle) what did you expect, my NI number !

Sorry, I just didn't register the name of the person who started the thread, so didn't know what anyone was talking about. I fear BAS has a sick sense of humour

But I noted it was not you bath who had put the odd socket on the wrong ring.

Boobing along on the crest of a wave?
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Has no-one here heard early Billy Connolly? The Jobbyweecher!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back