done most of my laminate and now realized final part is uneven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - i am laminating my garage which i've sectioned off, insulated and boarded to make a 'games room'.

Done most of it and the result is good. the sub-floor was concrete but more or less flat, and my 5mm techni-board underlay has absorbed all bumps. That was like 15sq meters of it.

Now approaching the final end (final 2 sq meters), the floor (last 60-80cm from final wall) is dipping -which I never picked up on.

for final few planks i needed to wedge an extra layer (even an extra 2 palm size pieces) of underlays to even get the laminate to click. However I was untidy with my 'wedging' and caused a bulge. so I removed those problematic planks. (only 3-4 planks).

Now with my spirit level and playing about - I just want to work out exactly where my double underlay would start and end.

My question is - is this ok just to finish the final 2sq meters? Using 2 x 5mm techni-board (which do tend to compress and absorb uneveness quite well )

I guess what I am suggested is not recommended at all - but for a DIY job for a make shift room this is going so so well and I'd rather just finish it using the method I mentioned - or any other suggestion.

So even if it not conventional way to finish my job, any tips are recommended.

materials I have to hand are - about 3 sq meters worth of techni-board. and 12mm laminate.

I don't mind going to buy something, but this literally is the final couple of planks.

Sponsored Links
I always use the green sort of felt type underlay on concrete to even out dips and bumps. Doubling up is fine but you really need to feather the start of the buildup or you'll end up with a high spot and a wobbly plank or 2. Scraps of rockwool might work if your underlay is moderately rigid

Buy a sack of levelling compound and get rid of that dip.
15 minutes job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back