Done some conversions on petrol cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
According to "The Internet", "regular" petrol is averaging $3.04 per US gallon in the US at the moment. As a US gallon is notably smaller than a gallon (it is only 3.79 litres) I did take this into account.

So, 44.1p per litre. Cheap. Less than half the cost here. But then I found something else out... they use 87-RON fuel.

So, some more research resulted in finding out you pay about 20% more for 92-RON fuel... "premium" as they call it. Applying that to this would mean they pay about 53p/litre of 92-RON petrol.

Couldn't find the price for 95 or 98-RON fuel, but I am getting the distinct impression it is something you would need to buy in the pitlane out there! So, whilst their petrol is undoubtedly cheaper than ours, it isn't as cheap as we might think and is of a lower quality.

It surprises me that some of our performance cars are recommended to run on 98-RON, but they sell those same cars in the US where they are unlikely to see more than 92-RON. Are we being sold snake oil? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
regardless of any sums we do the simple thing is NO GOVERNMENT has the right to shaft its citizens with this amount of tax

chaos needs to ensue

AdamW said:
It surprises me that some of our performance cars are recommended to run on 98-RON, but they sell those same cars in the US where they are unlikely to see more than 92-RON. Are we being sold snake oil? :rolleyes:
De do ron ron ron they do do Ron poor b*gger!

Sponsored Links
what the hell do you drive to lose that amount of horses, sounds nigh on impossible just because of the fuel octane. Some of the cars we sell here and there arnt the same engine wise, lining of the engines may be different to compensate for the lower quality fuel, if it was exactly the same car through and through, it would break down fairly quick.

saab 95 aero.i hav'nt really noticed it but people on saab forums say the performance goes down 10%.with 250 bhp might be true.saab recommend 97 ron for optimum performance though. :eek:

lining of the engines may be different to compensate for the lower quality fuel,.................Lining what :LOL: Timing (ignition) perhaps-typo- and lowering C.R and fitting hardened valves and seats :oops:

Although fuel in the US is 95RON, it comes with a very high sulphur content.

This will eat the bore lining out quicker than anything.

BMW nearly pulled out of the US market several years ago because their higher spec engines using NIKASIL were falling apart, and the owners were throwing huge damage cases at them.

Its one of the reasons that Ford never even looked at exporting certain cars like the Puma to the US market

so its not bs mate

Agree, and apologise- you obviously know what you`re talking about-Always thought of* Liners * ;)

Sponsored Links
Back