don't you just love landlords?

Sponsored Links
It must have been outrageously bad to get a fine like that from a magistrate! :LOL:

Don't you just love journalists?

I can't see a plug anywhere, just a double socket outlet. :rolleyes:

(Although a plug in a shower tray isn't a good idea - it would overflow in minutes! :p )

It will probably be acceptable under the 18th edition, so long as its protected by an RCD

Sponsored Links
Now why would a Landlord fit a socket in a bathroom? More likely a tenant fitted it although likely not the one in when it went to court.
Now to me far more important was lack of earthing and from what it says the property had been inspected and the faults raised were not dealt with.
How many times do we return to do a PIR and still find the faults raised with last one?
It is accepted time is required to correct faults but no one says exactly how long that time should be.
The picture of the DNO head and write up referring to bare wires seemed odd. However you can see earth block in picture.
As to shed falling down where children played what mother would allow their children to play around that?
Toilet leaking well I had to badger my local council over the conditions in a council flat where my 80 odd year old uncle lived and there was a list of faults including a leaking toilet fixed unsuccessfully with Denso tape after a year we gave up and moved him into a care home.
Sorry to say but private landlords look at council housing and consider if council can get away with it so can they.
Link on same page to wagon drivers fly tipping and urinating was headed "Crackdown on lorry drivers having sex in vehicles" so it does seem the standard of reporting leaves some room for improvement.
Let him without sin cast the first stone. To prevent this sort of problem we need to have a time laid down to correct faults. We see on here people who find they have no earth on the lighting circuit say they want metal light fittings and can't afford to get wiring corrected. What since 1966 they have never had the cash to correct? It seems from write up he was given time and failed to act. However I look at code 2 and code 4 many times and think could not the Electrical Safety Council publish a recommended time limit to get faults corrected.
Was there ever a time when we could have fitted sockets in the shower cubical? Even today we fit sockets very close to shower heads in hairdressers and I am sure if one went back far enough electric items were allowed in the bathroom. Had it not been for Antonio Meucci who many believe invented the telephone electrified his wife's bath to treat her illness and found the sounds in the bathroom were carried to where the batteries were and then modified this to produce a listening device so he could hear his paralysed wife. At this time (1860) it would seem there were no regulations stopping one from electrifying a bath.
News papers it seems often latch on one item and I read today how a fire was caused by an overloaded socket and one asks ones self how can one overload a socket? And there is only one way and that is to use a plug without a fuse. So should not the warning be about using hospital red plugs and cheap imported adaptors rather than overloading a socket?

I can think of a couple of ways to overload a socket using only legit UK stuff.

The most insiduous is to use a double socket. Afaict double sockets are NOT required to be tested for the full 26A that someone could pull through two plugs.

The second is to use a socket doubler (or worse two of them one in each side of a double socket). Unlike most other adaptors socket doublers are not required to be fused.

Be honest if you were a tenant would you live there, unless it was £10 a month :?:
But it is time that electrical safety test cert, were made compulsory for let property.
Not that it would have made a difference to the landlord, as they had not even had a gas certs issued.

I can think of a couple of ways to overload a socket using only legit UK stuff.

The most insiduous is to use a double socket. Afaict double sockets are NOT required to be tested for the full 26A that someone could pull through two plugs.
I would agree that poor quality plugs and sockets often can't take the continuous load of 13A. A kettle may be 13A but only for 4 minutes and I have noted since the introduction of safety plugs with the plastic finger guards there has been an increase of failures. However unless the plug is down rated you can still plug in a 3Kw electric fire and that is the max load. As to two 3Kw items into a double socket I have noted the standard is:-
"BS1363-2:1995 requires for double socket outlets that both socket outlets have loads applied via test plugs, 1 test plug having a load of 14 amps whilst the other has a load of 6 amps, making a total load of 20 amps on the cable supplying the double socket outlet. The double socket outlet is then subjected to this loading for a minimum continuous period of 4 hours or longer until stability is reached with a maximum duration of 8 hours (stability being taken as less than 1 degC rise within 1 h). The test is passed if neither the terminals / terminations, nor the accessible external surface, increase in temperature by more than 52 degC."

Also from MK
"All MK socket-outlets are manufactured to comply with BS1363 part 2: 1995 and are rated at 13A per unit. Double socket-outlets have been manufactured and tested to exceed this rating by margin that allows electrical safety and reduces the risk of heat and mechanical damage to components due to overloading. It should be noted that BS1363 part 2: 1995 does not allow double sockets to operate at twice the permissible maximum loading and it should be remembered that double socket-outlets are not manufactured to be able to withstand a 26A load for sustained periods of time.

Research by ourselves and third party organisations has shown that all MK double sockets can safely withstand a continuous load of 19.5A for an indefinite period. Increasing the load slightly will begin to cause heat and mechanical stresses on the components in a relatively short period. Testing showed that a load of 22.3A was sufficient to cause heat stress that would cause a browning of the faceplates and sufficient heat to cause insulation damage to cable cores. A load of 24A for 43 hours was sufficient to cause significant heat damage to the material in which the socket-outlet was situated and within 75 hours sufficient to cause significant damage that would lead to the very real potential of fire.

MK recommend that users of their sockets consult professional design Engineers when designing installations to avoid the possibility of heat and mechanical stress to components and installations caused by overloading of MK socket-outlets."

Taken from similar debate on IET web site

Yet go to MK web site and down load PDF and it states:-
"Current rating: 13A per socket outlet
(except 3 gang which is 13 amp in total)" Which I assume means you can draw full 26A on a double socket? There is a limit on ambient temperature "(not to exceed an average of more than 25°C in any 24
hour period)" so may be first was from some old catalogue?

Personally if not 26A then there should either be some overload device to stop one reaching 26A or at least it should be marked on front of socket.
The second is to use a socket doubler (or worse two of them one in each side of a double socket). Unlike most other adaptors socket doublers are not required to be fused.

Old socket doublers often did have one socket direct and two sockets fused but to comply with BS 1363 all outlets must be fused and although I have found adaptors and doublers without the fuse these have not been marked as BS 1363.

The weight of plugs fitted into socket doublers is the main problem and it can mean the plastic safety part of the pins gets compressed and allows the unit to push the spring grips upwards and lose connection with the lower part of the pin. I had though as a result these had been withdraw in favour of the multi-adaptor where a standard fused plug is connected by a short length of cable to a 2 to 10 way array of sockets. However last visit to Poundland I noted old type on sale again. I did not check to see if BS 1363 marked.

However to warn the public not to use the old type square adaptors is far comment but nearly every office one goes into has a multi-adaptor to run computer, printer, monitor etc. And with such a low current draw there is no real danger and if we feel multi-socket extensions are dangerous then maybe the government should follow New Zealand and abandon Part P so people can fit extra sockets rather than use these multi-socket extensions?

Top draw plumbing work though, love the pan connector.
How long would it take a vindaloo to burn through that :rolleyes:
What worries me is that the report said it was repaired with gaffer tape.

And was leaking.

I've never seen gaffer tape that colour.

You don't suppose it started out white, do you? :confused:

Be honest if you were a tenant would you live there, unless it was £10 a month :?:
But it is time that electrical safety test cert, were made compulsory for let property.
Not that it would have made a difference to the landlord, as they had not even had a gas certs issued.

hell yes if it was a tenner a month, I'd have had the place rewired before he realised it... and still only paid a tenner a month.. :)

Top draw plumbing work though, love the pan connector.
How long would it take a vindaloo to burn through that :rolleyes:
What worries me is that the report said it was repaired with gaffer tape.

And was leaking.

I've never seen gaffer tape that colour.

You don't suppose it started out white, do you? :confused:

it might say gaffer tape, but that looks like denso tape to me.. that's proper stuff for pipe leaks.. I think the gas board used it round their joints..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back