Don't you just love DIY'ers?!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spur from the 30A BS3036 downstairs ring final (grey 2.5mm² twin and earth) to a 30A junction box.
Leaving the junction box is 3 x 1.5mm² twin and earth cables (white) cables going to number of 13A sockets.

23082008387.jpg

From a couple of these sockets a two core 0.5mm² flex leaves and connects to a number of brass class 1 wall lights.
This particular one was switched by another wall light but all of them were fed via 2 core 0.5mm² flex.

23082008391.jpg

23082008392.jpg

23082008393.jpg

Sponsored Links
Rewireable fuses going by the card of wire in the cupboard.
Cable passing through cupboard casing.
Whats that 'thingy' slightly left of centre at the back of the cupboard?
Cables at JB look nicely encased with no cores showing though don't like the idea of it not being secured to something.
Won't bother mentioning the missing earth sleeving, (oops, I just did! :LOL: )
Is that a reflection on the back of the socket outlet or a scorch mark?
0.5mm too small and should be twin and earth.
Where there any grommets in the back box?

Rewireable fuses going by the card of wire in the cupboard.
Cable passing through cupboard casing.
Whats that 'thingy' slightly left of centre at the back of the cupboard?
Cables at JB look nicely encased with no cores showing though don't like the idea of it not being secured to something.
Won't bother mentioning the missing earth sleeving, (oops, I just did! :LOL: )
Is that a reflection on the back of the socket outlet or a scorch mark?
0.5mm too small and should be twin and earth.
Where there any grommets in the back box?

Whats the problem with that?

The problem I can see from that apart from the wrong choice of cable is the fact the light fitting is not connected to the earth despite it having an earth terminal. The light fitting should be connected to a circuit than a low rated fuse than the ring main so should be on its own circuit or the lighting circuit.

Sponsored Links
That's true Joy but what Lectrician was getting is that BS3036 rewireable aren't a defect in their own right.

The blob at the rear of the cupboard is a putty like substance for sealing the hole where the suppliers cable enters the meter cupboard.

It's a reflection on the rear of the socket, not heat damage.

Cable entered plastic surface backboxes from the rear in this room but no grommets fitted in any of the sunk metal backboxes anywhere else in the house.
Of the majority of accessories I removed for inspection I saw no apparent damage to the outer sheath or inner insulation so I'm not overly worried about that. Insulation resistance readings were fine also.

BTW, I disconnected the spur which contained the junction box, sockets and brass wall lights.

What job have you been asked to do btw?

In my house which was wired by an electrician in 1980 not a single back box has earthed or had gromits. I replaced them all and earthed each one as well fitting gromets, all that was done pre part P.

Sometimes it seems sparkies can be as bad as DIYers if they are in a rush or just don't do the job properly. I am sure even in 1980 those back boxes had to be earthed.

I was getting at the 3036 fuse - They are still compliant, and still contained in the current regs.

As for back box earthing, it is considered good practice, but is not a reg in it's own right. It is considered acceptable (although sloppy) to ommit the earth fly link if you have atleast one fixed lug in the back box (for securing the accessory front to).

What job have you been asked to do btw?

Periodic Inspection Report.

New occupants moved in around six months ago and didn't opt for a report on the state of the installation at the time. They had a new alarm fitted and the alarm installer mention the 1.5 t&e cabling on a 30A BS3036 fuse so set off a few alarm bells.

One or two other problems also, including a PME supply with 6mm PEB's (16mm line and neutral) - should be 10mm in accordance with 544.1.1

:)

How much does that cost (providing no work needs to be done) to have one of them reports done? I am a bit concerned about the electrics in my house due to some of things mentioned on other threads, the earth bonding, etc. I suspect some of the wiring was left in and is over 30 years old, although modern PCV stuff it would be interesting to see how well the insulation is performing.

That is why I said if no work needed to be done, ok a 3 bed terrace house, I only wanted to know if I we are talking about £50, £300, £1000? I just have no idea. I never asked for an exact quote.

That is why I said if no work needed to be done, ok a 3 bed terrace house, I only wanted to know if I we are talking about £50, £300, £1000? I just have no idea. I never asked for an exact quote.
Joydivision, expect to pay anything between £150-£250 dependant on location.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back