DOOR AND HINGES that wont close!!!! please help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am trying to fit 4 internal cupboard/louvre doors with Flush hinges.
I have built a frame for them to sit in and have attached one of the doors, however there is resistance when i try to close it and therefore it will not stay closed (by about 2 inches).

I have taken the door down and tried again and again and am completely losing all patience with it!

Is there anyone that might know why this is happening.

I had to plane the door edge down to fit the frame...could this be a problem?

I am completely desperate now!!!! and very frustrated!!!

Please someone help

Sponsored Links
your hinges may be out of line causing them to tighten as you close try loosening the screws one turn if this helps suspect your hinges are out of line
you may have use oversized screws [normaly 3.0mm by 12 or 4 by 1/2" dependant on hinge]
another problem may be your screws in slightly squint !!!!
if this is the case it can help by "bedding in" the screws
support the frame open the door just enough to see the edge place a bit of wood on the door edge opposite the hinge and give a smart tap to bed in screws

if the hinges are surface mounted again support the frame and place the wooden block immediatly above the hinge on the door

You need to pack out the hinges with hardboard or you could try the matchstick on close as possible on the hinge pin, the idea is you bringing the hinge side door out slightly to allow to shut flush

You did not recess these hinges did you....?

Make sure all your screwheads are slightly below the hinge plates.

Also where the smaller of the hinge plates fits inside the larger one, remove some wood with a small chisel to give some clearance. This is best done by marking the aperture with a pencil, then remove the hinges, then chisel out slightly larger than the lines.

Sponsored Links
When you planed the door down did you manage to plane it square? If you didnt and the bevel you created is on the inside of the rebate it would hit the frame before the door is fully closed causing it to "bind"
Take the door off and check it with a square

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back