Door and window frame around porch wall - movement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a question I wonder if anyone can assist with.

I have had a door fitted as part of a build I am having done, however on closing the door there is movement in the outer leaf of the block wall, to which the door frame is fixed. It is clear to see that the mortar has cracked. My question is therefore how do you prevent this from happening. The exterior is to be rendered so I do not want any movement following it being rendered as this may crack the render itself.

Have attached some picks for reference to how it is currently constructed.

-1034002900_20180816_180317_3196084_resized.jpg 1884375834_20180816_180311_4310990_resized.jpg

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Combi frames are the worst things ever. Every time you open or close that door, you rattle the wall. Every time.

Remove the cavity wall and replace it with a hardened nuclear reinforced bunker wall.

Ouch, was hoping for something a little less disturbing. Isn't there a solution other than that? There seem to be loads of porches the same.

It's a crap design anyway, and with that 100mm cavity and no return on the block reveal it's much much worse.

The wall had gone and needs rebuilding. Rebuild it with extra heavy duty ( thick) wall ties, double them near to the reveal and use steel mesh reinforcement every third brick course.

Likewise for the blocks and return the reveal up to the brickwork, reinforcement every course.

Sponsored Links
Woody is well ahead but i can't see any wall ties at all, and the insulation is missing too.

Just noticed it's block external. That don't help as the bigger units and fewer joints are more prone to cracking as there is less flexibility in the panel as a whole.

There are wall ties and insulation.

Yes it's block outer as it's going to be rendered.

I guess I'm best getting the builder to rebuild the order leaf in brick then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back