Door bell with two chime units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am planning to install a hard wired door bell system and would like some advice please. I will have a 3 amp FCU which will then have a 1.5mm T&E going to the door chime (load side of FCU). I plan to buy a door chime and transformer in one (common I imagine?). From here, I will have a 2 core bell wire going to the push button on the front door.

I assume the above is correct and straight forward. Please tell me if not!

I want to introduce a second chime into this to cover the back part of the house.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You do like your 1.5mm² T&E, don't you?

It has a maximum current rating of 20A; you are fitting a 3A fuse in the FCU.

ohh, should have added, I have half a reel of it which needs to be put to some use.

Good job it's not 6mm² that you have. :)

Yes your plan is correct, but

you will have to buy a system which allows a second chime.

Sponsored Links
point made sir!

A couple of clarifications please:
Is it common to have door chime and transformers in one?
Also, do I need two sets of bell wire at the push button with one going to each chime? Or should 1 go to the first chime and then on to the second?

Is it common to have door chime and transformers in one?
Some are, some aren't.

Also, do I need two sets of bell wire at the push button with one going to each chime? Or should 1 go to the first chime and then on to the second?
It doesn't matter where along the bell wire you make the connections, so probably better at the chime end (being polite).

I'm not a bell expert so am not sure if having two on one bell-push will introduce any difficulties.
Someone else will be along.

It may be better to have a separate transformer that can handle two chimes rather than two with internal transformers.

The bells will be wired in parallel
The standard bell transformers are rated to drive just one bell, so you would need to get a transformer that is capable of powering two bells at the same time
It is usual to have the bell transformer near to the power source. They are usually sited next to the consumer unit.
Usually there is just bell wire from the transformer to the bell and bell pushes, this keeps the nasty bitey mains voltage well away from the extra-low voltage of the bell circuit.

Thanks @Taylortwocities.

It sounds to me that I need to situate a FCU and a suitable transformer next to the consumer unit. I will then have 3 bell wires leaving the transformer.

1. to bell #1
2. to bell #2
3. to push button on front door.

Have I understood correctly?

If you are putting the transformer next to the CU wire it into the lighting circuit then you won't need the FCU.

Or
Transformer to bell 1
Switch to bell 1
Wire from bell 1 to bell 2

EDIT:

Spotted this on the wonderweb. Uses two separate transformers. I'm trying to think why it wouldn't work....
10256d1363330260-2-doorbells-1-transformer-pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzze-help-diagramcu.jpg

Or
Transformer to bell 1
Switch to bell 1

EDIT:

Spotted this on the wonderweb. Uses two separate transformers. I'm trying to think why it wouldn't work....
10256d1363330260-2-doorbells-1-transformer-pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzze-help-diagramcu.jpg
http://www.shortlist.com/tech/gadge...n-an-iphone-explodes-in-your-pocket#gallery-1
Or
Transformer to bell 1
Switch to bell 1

EDIT:

They need to be identical transformers otherwise there could be circulating currents. Much better to use one transformer with the chimes in parallel.

They need to be identical transformers otherwise there could be circulating currents. Much better to use one transformer with the chimes in parallel.
I wonder why the rest of us didn't bother posting such a comment :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back