Door bell with two chime units

That's correct. I am after two bells to operate from a single push button. Do we have a consensus on how this should be wired?

Sponsored Links
That's correct. I am after two bells to operate from a single push button. Do we have a consensus on how this should be wired?
A 'consensus' may be asking a little too much. Most people seem agreed that the best approach is to simply have the two chimes wired in parallel and the two push buttons wired in parallel, with a single transformer to power both. That would probably preclude your idea of using "chime and transformer in one" since, as has been suggested, even if you disconnected one of the transformers, the other one might well not be man enough to reliably/satisfactorily operate two chimes - you would then have to find an 'external' transformer that was man enough to do that.

Kind Regards, John

I've already lost the idea of transformer and chime in 1 but to be clear, I will only have 1 push button. 2 chimes operated by 1 push button.

I've already lost the idea of transformer and chime in 1 but to be clear, I will only have 1 push button. 2 chimes operated by 1 push button.
Yes, I knew that (but forgot!), so you can forget what I wrote about two buttons - but, otherwise, what I says stands.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Ok. I am trying to envisage the cable routes. The transformer wil be situated by the CU. Do I take bell wire from transformer to chime #1 and from chime #1 take a bell wire to push button and another bell wire from chime#1 to chime#2?

Also...
When you guys suggest that the transformer should have enough umphh to power the two bells, isn't there then the possibility that my bell wires leaving the transformer could be insufficient to carry this umphh?

Volt drop can be an issue, depending on the length of the wiring runs

The standard bell wire is
1/0.6mm copper 22AWG (23SWG)
The maximum is 1.8amp.
You'll probably need to use something like 0.75mm² twin cable. And that will include the wires to the bell push.

Do I take bell wire from transformer to chime #1 and from chime #1 take a bell wire to push button and another bell wire from chime#1 to chime#2?
That would be the usual method, so all of the connections are inside one of the chimes.
In theory connections could be made elsewhere, but there is no space for that at the button and if done at the transformer some kind of extra enclosure would be required.

Volt drop can be an issue, depending on the length of the wiring runs

The standard bell wire is
1/0.6mm copper 22AWG (23SWG)
The maximum is 1.8amp.
You'll probably need to use something like 0.75mm² twin cable. And that will include the wires to the bell push.
I'll second that - I had a 10m run of bell wire and the bell just clicked once because of the volts drop.

I've simplified this as I've settled for a single door chime. I've now got my t&e feed coming to the point on the wall where I intend to situate the chime (with built in transformer) and my door bell cable also appears at this point.

Question - can someone recommend a reasonable chime but it must also power the light on the bell push button.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back