Door casing and correct fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a door casing to fit into some stud work. The stud work is 4x2 (38x89) the door case is slightly deeper 108mm so I have about 9.5mm proud either side of the Studwork. Is this correct or should it be fit flush one side ?

Sponsored Links
Is the wall going to be plaster boarded?

Then I think you will find that the plasterboard brings the finished wall flush, or nearly so, with the edge of the door lining.

So you just need to tack on an architrave to hide the join before painting the woodwork.

You may need to use a bit of filler or caulk if they are noticably out of level. If you can put it behind the architrave it will not show.

Sponsored Links
Your lining is too narrow, you need 15mm either side, 12mm for plasterboard the rest for skim.

Whilst I'm in agreement with Foxhole I will point out that it is possible to set the casing to be correct on one side (always the hinge side, and in your case 15mm proud of the studwork as he suggests) then to build up the other side of the casing with planed softwood lathing to the correct thickness (circa 18mm step back by 10mm to form a rebate then apply the architrave, again set- back by 10mm)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back