so you have to insert from the side you have no
more than a 1mm gap to fill otherwise the join will
become progresivly more visible

in other words unpainted wood must be as neat as possible with as little
filler as possible

you need to square up the pocket to full height and width and depth
[you only need to cover the hole with around 9mm
of wood because its cosmetic and not structural]
and not use a bit of ply or mdf to fill it in :D :D ;)

^^ thanks for your reply man, i was left with a pocket only a couple of mil, so thats the type of wood i tried to get, and i still had to sand it to fit lol
ok so let me get this straight, i'll need to pop off the architrave and cut back the pocket about 45% twords the wall with a chisel, making sure its square and true, then tap in a real piece of pine making sure its a snug fit?, then it would be just a case of some sanding and then varnishing, ill probably need to reverse a lot of doors in my house so they need to be perfect, i really appreciate your advice, just say yay or nay, that i understand lol

yes you pretty well have it but the most important thing is get a bit off wood with matching grain otherwise it cannot blend in

in general you choose a bit of timber nearest to the thickness you need then you cut the pocket 1mm less than the bit of wood so you finnish up sanding planing the new bit to fit the frame not the other way around

Sponsored Links
Cheers man, thanks so much, thats great help, i shall tackle these jobs in coming days, all the best
peace

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back