Door catching on new laminate.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The other day we had some laminate fitted and the fitters have done an excellent job apart from one thing which we noticed after they had gone. The front door catches a bit underneath on the floor. I have tried to put a thin bead of silicone in but it will still keep pulling a bit. I will include a couple of pictures. IMG-20200817-WA0014.jpg IMG-20200817-WA0015.jpg

I know it should really have a door plate in between to protect the floor but their is not much room.

What would my best option be?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem. I adjusted adjust the hinges so that the door is slightly higher.

what type / brand of laminate did you use? I will be doing my hall soonish, still not sure what to put down

as a general point with laminate and wooden doors but in emergency plastic you can take a roll off say 120 grit grit side up and hold whilst rubbing the door to and fro but keep in mind if you stand close to the door its wont work as weight will drop the floor so try holding several inches away

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The threshold strip should have been removed and replaced the laminate is cut too short .Poor job imo.What underlay was used .

I had the same problem. I adjusted adjust the hinges so that the door is slightly higher.
Well not really possible with this door unless I want to open a can of worms for myself. Even the hinges do not have the allen key screw to lift or lower.

what type / brand of laminate did you use? I will be doing my hall soonish, still not sure what to put down
Sorry mate can not remember the name. It was not the most expensive stuff, in fact the fitting was not far off the cost of the floor. All in all though we are happy with the quality.

The threshold strip should have been removed and replaced the laminate is cut too short .Poor job imo.What underlay was used .
I see what you mean about a poor job but honestly we are more than happy with the rest of the work. Not in a million years would I have got it looking like it does, this door is the only problem which could be our own fault. It had old laminate already down and when we took it up their were tiles laid. We should have really knocked all the tiles off and smoothed the floor down but we did not have time after finding them.

Do you think if I take the little piece of wood off and groove the tile out to get more depth on just that part then install a plate would work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back