door closed no handle cannot open

hey,

Ok, I have taken the keeps off and the only thing written on them is 25-530.1

I went to look at our other door that is working and it looks exactly the same. If I take it off from that will I get the manufacture from that? (Providing you cannot recognise it from above).

I have added some pictures to try and help. (Prob won't as they prob look like most doors lol) There are three keeps in total one big in the middle and two at the top/bottom like in the pic.

Thanks
k0r54

Sponsored Links
Have you forgotten to include your pic? ;)

The mech you have in the back door should have some maker markings somewhere along the gold/zinc plated strip, possibly near the middle?

Sponsored Links
If the other door looks the same are there any manufacturer names on the front of the locking mech, i have seen in my time as a service engineer those frame keeps you have, the locking should have a round shoot bolt that engages into the keep but i cannot locate the mech on the web without a start point.

As for the repair lock then i have seen them on other sites but never had anything to do with them so i cant comment, especially how they fit into a door that has already been routered out for a certain lock already.

Hi,

No there is no sign of any brand on the mechs on the back door.

Would I need to remove it?

Thanks
k0r54

Hmmm maybe you might have to if theres no branding on the strip.

Another thing, if you do take it out and theres still no branding then just take some critical measurements and buy a different mech, this site has a very good range of mechs and if you click on the technical box it gives the measurements you need to order....

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/results.php?category_id=10&PHPSESSID=59799e5833891248773196cc6192990f

The important sizes you need are 'BACKSET' , this is the depth of the case, from the face to the centre of the square spindle hole, not the whole case depth

Then you need the 'PZ' size, this is the distance between the centre of the spindle hole down to the centre of the circular portion of the slot for the euro cylinder (barrel), most modern doors now only use 92PZ, this is 92mm.

As for the amount of locks within the strip is entirely up to you, try and get one that has hook locks that are in a similar place to your exsisting or non-exsistent lock, this will mean less routering out of the pvc to retro fit the new mech, the new frame keeps MAY also cover the holes on the frame from the old lock mech

So to recap, you'll need a lock mech, keeps to suit and a handle set, for a barrel i would measure the other doors barrel, measure from each end inwards to the hole in the centre to get the size you need in mm

Heres a link to barrels too and the various sizes they come in....

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/results.php?category_id=11&sub_category_id=78&range_id=534

The reason the hole is not in the centre is simple, most doors mechs dont run down the centre of the pvc but are off set meaning you need more barrel poking outwards than inwards

Its a simple job and good luck :D

hi
id say that they have cut out that part of the lock which is a spring loaded latch
there will be a thumb turn or a key this is what will open the door turn it anti clockwise to open sometimes they will turn but wont open this is a problem with the barrel let me know what happens and i can advise you further
richard

Hi, this site might explain the PZ measurement better than me :D

http://www.handlesandhinges.co.uk/html/door_handle_measure_ment_guide.html

You can either get it from your handle or from the mech you have taken out of the other door. One thing i forgot to say is did you try the mech from the other door in the without the mech to see that it fitted? If so then you could take all measurements from that mech.

Going back to the handle, being quite an old mech the PZ may not be 92mm, most modern doors are but older ones can be 48mm, 68mm, 70mm, 72mm and 85mm as shown here....

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/results.php?category_id=21&PHPSESSID=544211163c057468249578fcbc09b486

it was good to see the door open my advice not the wright one for the job at the mo thanks for pointing it out cranc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back