door entry phone - what's gone wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My flat has an entry phone as do the other flats in the block.

I wanted to move my entry phone to a different position in the flat. So I opened it up, unscrewed all the cables, cut a few metres off the cable (as didn't need it all), restripped the wires and reconnected them in the same positions they were in before.

Now it doesn't work.

The positions on the phone are marked

C 1 2 L - A +

I took a photo before so I know I put them back in the right place.

The functions of the phone are:

Privacy button - this stops the buzzer from sounding. Still works but the light doesn't stay in.
Door light - comes on when the front door is opened - still works.
Buzzer - works but is very very quiet. You can't hear it unless you hold your ear to the receiver.
Voice - the handset has stopped working. When someone buzzes downstairs, you can't hear them and they can't hear you.
Door open button - usually the following happens: someone buzzes, you pick up, you speak to them, you press the door open button. Now you can't speak to them and the door open button does nothing.

Any ideas what could have gone wrong? Could I have shorted out the wires by accidentally touching them together? That's all I can think of.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
"cut a few metres off the cable",
did you do exactly that?

"Could I have shorted out the wires by accidentally touching them together?"
- Yes, or when you cut it

If you did, somewhere there is a power supply with a blown fuse or transformer, good luck

yes i did exactly that - cut the cable shorter

where would the fuse/power supply be - in the handset or in the panel/central door entry control?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Will your landlord be happy for you to be tinkering with this equipment?

its my flat... and i was only playing with things that were inside it... still, my bad!

You have blown the fuse in the main transformer at least if not the electronics. As to the legality of what you did, just because it is in your flat does not mean that you have a right to mess around with it. I presume you pay a service charge or somthing? This is for these types of systems.
No disrespect but you dont appear to have an idea at what you could have done and should have left well alone.
I would eat "humble pie" and admit to what you have done to get the matters sorted "pro" Worst case if they found is that it could be looked upon as criminal damage. (Not trying to scare you but action has been brought this way.
John

Is worst case you are better off owning up to it especialy if council run as they will more that likley find the problem anyway especially if the joint or conections are not right.
I have seen people done over things like this and even though you were "moving it" you had not right to without permission.
Its no different in the eyes of some than the vandle who comes along and if the cable was visible from the outside cuts it, thats the way some take it.

General rule: If you live in a flat even if you own it and there are shared services it does not give you a right to interfer with the shared service. IE door entry system.

Anyone who just cuts a cable is asking for trouble if you did the same to a BT cable you could blow the fuse at the exchange and have the wrath of BT on you!

Please please if it is a cable it carries electricity how much do you know? Christ you could have killed yourself luck has it these are only 12 volts but you could still have caused major problems.

For your own sake dont cut cables

For want of a better phrase there are protective devices at telephone exchanges using the word "fuse" was the best I could come up with in plain english.

Also as a point you can get a nasty shock as the line is 50 volts I am weary of the socket as well as it does not look standard and if he has BB he may get problems.

what ever you say whistle. if it makes you happy to try and slag me off like the pathetic child you are, then so be it.

But it was you who did not read how the post was written, i would also suggest you refrain from anymore such stupid comments as YOU will only end up getting this topic locked as you seem to do to most others (or the mods just remove the drivel you type)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back