Door entry system handsets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked to install a 6 way door entry system as the current one if fluffed.
I was wondering whether the handsets already installed are likely to work with another system? I've not had much experience with door entrys.

Sponsored Links
It will depend on the electronics of the unit you select and whether it can support the number of handsets and their type also whether any handset is faulty or not, can you not replace like for like?

Hi,
The handsets are all working, and i would obviously choose an entry panel that can take 6 phones. The main thing is I'd rather not spend too long doing the work and would rather not have to go into every flat and replace the handset. would also save the customers abit too.
Assuming i have another panel that is a 6 way and does the same door release jobby as the previous one do you think the old handsets would be compatable?
cheers

No not necessarily as i said before it will depend on the matching of components such as the impedance of the handsets etc.

To mix and match would invalidate any approvals the system may have had, try to source the original panel or replace the whole system.

Sponsored Links
Have a look here
http://www.safelink.co.uk/store/shop/index.php
No need to replace the handsets - theres only 6 wires all wired in alarm cable:
Lock
Mic
Comm
Speaker
Buzzer
Tone

Something like this will do the job, just choose the number of ways you need

http://www.safelink.co.uk/store/shop/shop.php?action=full&id=304

Have a look on this list, you will be able to easily trace which wire is what from one of the handsets when you wire up the main audio panel
http://www.safelink.co.uk/store/product_uploads/1182878107.pdf

Just be wary that incorrect impedance matching can severly degrade the quality of the voice reception. Also because its an install in a block of flats will you get an approval along with the "compatible" handsets for insurance purposes?

ncoups asked a question.

ncoups wanted the answer "yes".

ncoups got 2 answers, one was "yes", the other was "no".

Q: Who will he choose to believe?

Well its not the end of the world if they aren't compatible, I'll only have to purchase and install the handsets. I'm not going to kill anyone with a door entry phone.

I'm not going to kill anyone with a door entry phone.
How do you know that? fire can kill!

I might be going over the top in saying that but how will you know if a mismatched system is slowly smouldering away or not?

change everything and have done with it.
If you dont some one will blame the bit of kit you did not change

Exactly as breezer says, in this day and age you cant be too careful and while many that quote this reg and that reg may sound like they have nothing better to do but put obstacles in the way its the way the system works and we all know you can't beat the system :)

lol - this is a door entry system, bit extreme to say it'l go on fire if you dont use compatible handsets! As previously said the worst that could happen is the voice quality might slightly deteriorate:cool:

lol - this is a door entry system, bit extreme to say it'l go on fire if you dont use compatible handsets! As previously said the worst that could happen is the voice quality might slightly deteriorate:cool:
I did say i was being a bit over the top but i was trying to get the point over about the blame culture that we all have to work within these days and what you might decide to get away with when its a job done for yourself becomes a different kettle of fish when taking money for a job for someone else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back