Door fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How long should it take a carpenter to trim and fit a door, including three hinges and a mortice door handle?

Sponsored Links
Who cares, as long as it's a fixed price and is well hung. (The door I mean ;) )

Sponsored Links
All depend if the door frame are plumb and the door is not twisted, can take from 2 hrs to 4hrs

A good commercial grade chippie can swing up to 7 doors in a day.
However, worth noting these will all be the same 44mm solid core flush door, with 3 butt hinges, overhead closer, mortice latch/lock, pair levers & cyliner thumb turn. Vitally they will all be into new frames which will be dead on.

How long should it take a carpenter to trim and fit a door, including three hinges and a mortice door handle?

depends on so many things but I'd allow half a day.

If this is in a house then the planing would usually be done outside so as not to create too much mess inside and then have to carry the door back in to offer it into the opening....there will usually be very little room to manouvre due to furniture etc and this will slow down the process.

if the frame is an existing frame (old) then it could very well be in twist, the hinge housings may be no good, hinges may need packing etc etc etc.

In a brand new frame that has been put in right then to fit, hang and fit the lock I'd allow 2 hours

Hi

Regarding times for fitting doors, its not as easy as you may think. To hang a door properly ie shooting the door to fit frame, styles backed on both hanging and lock style, sanded up, hinges fitted and lock set and handles. Well about two and half to three hours. Thats me personally but i'm a bit of a perfectionist and take pride in my work.

However I have know joiners that lash doors on in a crack ie on sites where speed is required. Really it just depends on who you use to hang your doors. Ive known friends who have got so called joiners in to fit all there doors. Got the job done cheap but now every door binds, handles and locks dont operate correctly. two blokes 4 hours 8 doors plus backmoulds just lashed on.

I was asked to go round and redo the doors, guess what I totally refused!

All I can say is use a credited joiner to do the job, you will pay a premium for quality work, but its worth it for peace of mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back