Fitting new door handles, help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting some new door handles previously there were round mortice knobs and now I am fitting square which leaves a big hole at the side of the new handle, what is the best way to fill it please?

Sponsored Links
are you talking screw holes !!!!

what are the doors made from !!!!
are you going to paint them or how are you going to finnish them!!!!

It's actually the hole where the original handles were fitted, about 2-3 inch hole. They are hollow interior doors and will be painted.

mmmmm the hole should only be the size off the spindle why are they so big !!!!!

Sponsored Links
If only I knew, they are almost the size of the back plate of the old door handle. Moved in three years ago and am still updating property. I thought maybe a wood putty would do the trick?

mmmm let me get this right
you have large circular holes and all you see is the lock in these holes!!!!!
with approximatly 8mm between the lock and the side off the door!!!

I have fitted the new handles, but there is now half a hole at the side of the new handle where the old one was.

if you have a gap back to the lock you will have to protect the lock possibly take it out and tape a bit of cardboard to it

but what ever you fill the hole with wil have a job to adhere due to limited thickness

take the new ones off and glue a slip of wood over the hole ... so that the new handle is on sort of a plinth (thin bits of wood are avalible in model shops, chamfer the edges with sand paper).... well i would anyway, cos filling hollow doors never realy works, it falls out or shows in some way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back