Door for understairs cupboard - can I cut a standard door down to size?

Sponsored Links
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but...

Something I tackled, a few months ago...

You will struggle to cut a panel door down, and make it look decent after. A flush door will be easier, unless you get something bespoke made.

As access to the understair cupboard space, we had a flush door, which had been cut down - full width, rectangular, but shortened down to around 4' 9". Horrible, I would clout my head every time I went in there, for anything. So I would avoid a short door, if possible..

I had a spare lightweight flush door, egg box type, so I decided to alter the door frame, so the top edge followed the angle of the stair, and adapt the door to fit. That type of door, has no internal solid structure, apart from at the top, bottom, and sides. Cut a large corner off, and the is nothing but cardboard egg box, between the thin faces - so I had to fit a replacement timber edge to it, glued in place.

The access door is now full height, but with a 45 degree corner missing from it - massively better for access. To finish the door off, it was wall-papered, dado fitted, and painted, so it almost disappears, when closed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back