Door frame leaning into room on one side, what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a bedroom door and have offered it upto the opening and found one side leans into the room.

I drew a line with a level and it's about 15mm further in at the top.

Is it best to router the frame or remove it?

The wall must be out because the architraves are nice and neat.

Thanks for any advice.

IMG_9607.JPG

IMG_9608.JPG

Sponsored Links
Yes, the doors brand new.

The level shows the frame square on the handle side but wonky on the hinge side.

the proper way to do it is to move the leg parallel
the hinge knuckles need to be parallel to the frame edge for the door to be parallel with the frame
a router wont work as you need a baton for the base to run against this will be about 4-5" away from the cutting point placing it at or beyond the flat area
the router base needs to run on a dead flat surface as any lumps bumps or twists will effect the path off the cutter

Sponsored Links
I'm left wondering if the original door warped over time and whether or not somebody simply moved the frsme to match the door. We have a bedroom door frame just like that. Don't try to correct the run-out with a router - you won't be able to work the router into the corner, you'll have to finish with a chisel which will be awkward and potentially not look good unless your chisel work is top dollar and in any case it is a taper cut. Better to remove the architraves from the affected leg and straighten it then refix it (checking that the legs are parallel across the opening with a timber lath cut to the exact length) before reattaching the architraves. You can sight across the door casing to check if the legs are in alignment - when viewed obliquely the legs should be parallel and the furthest one should disappear top and bottom at the same time as you move your head in towards the wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back