Door frames and wonky walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(This may be better in Building- I'll leave wiser heads to decide)

Continuation of this little project //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/dilemma-while-moving-a-doorway.424311/- been busy on the garage with the good weather but this week hasn't been good weather!

Problem I've got- the 2 new doorways to go in the wall under the long lintel - a wall which I now discover has a bit of a lean on it (like about 25mm out over 2500 height). Best bet might have been to demolish the house and start again but too late for that. From looking at the plasterwork etc. the lean has been on the wall since building. The door that I removed didn't stand out as being ****ed, the old door lining doesn't look as if it has been planed at a jaunty angle (though I will check again tomorrow)

So what can I do that will look OK? As far as I can see my choices are;

1 Set door lining to follow the angle of the wall (so off vertical by 1 degree which sounds pathetic but that's what 25mm over 2500 is, it looks much more), hang the doors and live with one being prone to close (it'll be opening uphill) and the other one needing excess trimming (it'll be opening downhill so will scuff the shower room floor otherwise)

2 Set door lining to follow the wall angle but hang the doors vertically (I'm using carpentry 140 x 22 for the door lining because of the thick plasterwork) and fix the return strips (is that the right term? The thicker bit of the lining that the door seals to) so the actual door is vertical

3 Set door linings and doors vertically, hide the runout with filler behind the architraves at the bottom/artistically routed architrave at the top (mirror on the other side of the wall).

4 Nuclear option- Set door linings and doors vertical, build plaster up on walls (probably dot and dab once runout exceeds 15mm).

I need new doors anyway, the plan is white frames and skirtings with pine doors (I like pine me)- what I desperately want to avoid is wrong-looking doors.

Thoughts?

I need to decide between 1/2 and 3/4 fairly soon- the divider between the 2 doors is a gert lump of 4 x 3 - setting that to the noggins has highlighted the out of vertical issue & its the next bit of the job to fix down.

Sponsored Links
Whichever you choose, there's only one way to put in a door casing - and that's plumb. Anything else and you'll find all sorts of nasty issues can bite you. How you work the rest around it sort of depends on your view of which looks least worse TBH. If it helps you decide we have a back kitchen wgere the wall at the worktop has 4mm of plaster on it - at the top the dot and dab is about 30mm. It looks OK, though, despite being murder to hang cabinets off

Cheers chap, was pondering while making the post and had pretty much decided vertical was the way forward, anything else would end up looking like a dogs dinner. It'll give the plasterer a hobby when I let him loose on the place :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back