Door Hinge Inserts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know of hints and tips on cutting out rebates for hinges an new doors.
Can the job be done with a router :?:

Cheers

Sponsored Links
By no means an expert...

But I once saw Tommy walsh tell me to score around the hinge with a stanley knife, aparently this makes the chiseling out neater.

Or I saw Ben Huggins do it with a router, he was putting big hinges in.
Using a template was the key thing.

you can buy hinge jigs or make your own or even free hand with a router,then with a corner chisel remove the excess,thats if your doing a lot of door hanging,or why not try the old fashion method of using a hammer and chisel.

Thanks for your response guys.

I will be hanging ten new doors so I'm looking for the best, and least stressful, method.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If you've got a lot to do then it's worth the trouble to set up a router (and a template, if you want to buy or make one); you'll still need to finish the corners with a chisel.

If you're doing only one door it can be quicker to use a good sharp chisel; scribing the edges, and checking the depth as you go.

I've used router and jig and it works very well. Only be very careful and sure footed - ideally 2 people, 1 to hold door. I have replaced all internal doors like this with oak doors so I was worried about making a mistake and damaging expensive doors. A bit care and attention and a perfect job. I'm no joiner but quite experienced DIYer.

Router is very dangerous so be very careful and take your time.

Test first on an old door - I did to get the feel of it.

by the time you have set your router up you would have had the job done with a sharp chisel.

If you are in the trade like me and hang multiple doors a year, I would defo buy a Hinge jig, quick and easy to use if you don't lose the hinge template guide :LOL: but they are pricey, bought a new one from Trend recently and it set me back 175 notes, :( but I will recoup that cost after 4-5 doors :) .... if you intend to hang 10 doors and thats it use the old fashion method of hammer and chisel or construct your own router template as previously mentioned.

Leeco is correct be careful with a router its pretty dangerous kit to a novice, I use a couple door clamps for my work... best invention ever yet so simple wish I had thought of it! :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back