Fitting 35mm door in 45mm frame (int)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title, I can foresee problems with the hinge side of the door catching the frame or backmould, due to the insertion depth being greater than the door thickness.
Anyone have any tips on overcoming this.
Cheers Ian.
Edit; It is a metal frame, with welded on hinges.

Sponsored Links
i too have metal frames in my house,PIA to be honest,but i used the original 4 " butts on 33 mm doors,if your very careful with the cutting of
the recesses it will leave about 3-4mm of timber.

My main worry is the door catching on the frame when opened past 90 deg, as its set in by almost 10mm.
The alternative is having it set flush with the architrave edge of the frame, but that will leave the 10mm gap on the closing side.
Wouldnt be so bad if it was wooden frame, I could plane off the closing strip and re plant one 10mm in.
I'll just have to bite the bullet and hope for the best.

But you said the frame has hinges on it already.. it's the placement of a hinge on a frame that dictates whether the door will foul on the frame, not how thick the door is, surely? (or am I misunderstanding you?)

The hinge pin wuld be in line with the frame edge, and only if the door is mounted more proud than the hinge pin, will it bind on the frame.. but your complaint is the opposite of proud; your door is recessed by 10mm/there is 10mm of hinge visible proud of the door. This door won't bind on the frame, even at 180 degrees, unless the frame/architrave is proud of the hinge pin

Sponsored Links
You are correct cjard, having fitted the door it opens perfectly.
The only drawback is the extra piece of hinge showing at the knuckle edge, to get the door up to the stops.
The old hinges are 4" butts.

Possibly painting it the same colour as the frame will help blend it in, or maybe you could fit some nice chunky fake detail to the door to make it look like a decorative hinge.. If you can find an approaching-10mm-thick detail then it'll blend. Something like cutting the right hand part off this, maybe:

large-1511-box-hinge-db.jpg

Or you could leave it; there will come a time when you stop noticing it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back