Fitting door to out of shape door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a new door to a noticably out of shape door frame.
the frame is square(ish) however one side is 10mm taller than the other.

I could just cut off to suit, but this makes the top rail shorter than the other doors - i could insert a filler - but i'm staining / varnishing the doors

any tips ?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Plane the door to width (not forgetting the leading edges) then wedge the door up in position and mark the head of the door. You'll probably have to plane/cut off 10mm to nothing across the head of the door. Re-wedge the door up, mark the hinges, cut out and hang the door.

Simples. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

cheers,
thats pretty much what i've done - just looks odd - it'll look ok once its varnished / stained tho :)

Hasn't been one single easy door in this house!

Sponsored Links
Quite usual when fitting new doors into old frames. Still , if it's only 10mm out across the head, it won't look too bad. I had to hang doors in one old house where the head of the door frame was about 40mm out across the width. I had offered to re-do the frames , but the owner refused. He thought I was just trying to up the price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back