Fitting architraves to uneven door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Replacing door arcs in my old house and realised after taking the old arc's off that the door frames are all really out of shape with none of the corners being 90 degree. One end is higher than the other so the top part of the frame is at an angle.

Unfortunately I just had the wall around the frames replastered so ripping out the frames and installing new ones is kinda out of the question.

How should I fit the arcs for the best looking finish. Should I line them up to follow the shape of the door frame and change my mitre angles accordingly so that the arcs will also not be properly square or should I fit the arcs at proper 90degree angles and have the door margin bigger at one end than the other?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
hi

you could still replace the frame as the archs will cover the area where plaster meets wood, it would mean you need a new door also,

if you are just replacing archtraves set them up with a equal border around the frame, and adjust the mitre angles, in this situation parrellel is better than level and square

Thanks for that, might look at getting the frames replaced aswell as I need new doors anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back